PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use one of these

Pages : [1] 2

Junebug1998
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
CCS Spot Buffs 4 Inch Foam Pad Kit Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html)

I purchased one to use on my Harley, After a summer of riding I get some swirls and light scratches and thought I would use this to polish it up with my Drill since it is small and I can get to the places I need to easily with this kit.

Thought? My intention is to try it on the rear fender under the seat first to make sure I dont mess up the paint and get my technique down with it.

orionz06
01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
dont use the drill, it will be the same as a rotary, and my guess also akward based on position... the bike is small enough to do by hand...

ive detailed an electraglide multiple times (rider used poor towels) and by hand it was never a challenge (using applicators with compounds)

Emile
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
A drill doesn't spin nearly fast enough to do any paint correction. Trust me, I have that setup and I've tried it with 4" orange pads and the drill adapter. You need a Porter Cable or some other high-rpm polisher to fix the scratches and swirls.

Maybe use a polish/wax combination that is designed to hide swirls and scratches such as a Duragloss product.

Jimmie
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I've got the spot buff pads. Use it with the drill adaptor for plastic lenses. You can get adaptors to fit the 2 3/4" backing plate on a PC or rotary too. Sounds perfect for a bike.

Jimmie
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
A drill doesn't spin nearly fast enough to do any paint correction. Trust me, I have that setup and I've tried it with 4" orange pads and the drill adapter. You need a Porter Cable or some other high-rpm polisher to fix the scratches and swirls.

Maybe use a polish/wax combination that is designed to hide swirls and scratches such as a Duragloss product.

You can get much higher RPM's from a corded drill.

Junebug1998
01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your input on this item.

D
01-07-2009, 02:32 PM

A drill like this that goes up to 1200 rpm's would work even better than a PC. Black & Decker at Lowe's: 18V Smart Select Cordless Drill (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=295424-79992-BD18PSK&lpage=none)

Emile
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
The Porter Cable's slowest speed is 2,500rpm, which is already more than double that of the Black & Decker unit. When I tried paint correction with a 4" Lake Country Orange pad, I was using my Craftsman 19.2V drill and it did almost nothing.

D
01-07-2009, 03:22 PM
The Porter Cable's slowest speed is 2,500rpm, which is already more than double that of the Black & Decker unit. When I tried paint correction with a 4" Lake Country Orange pad, I was using my Craftsman 19.2V drill and it did almost nothing.

Than why does a rotary at a speed as low as 1000rpm do more correction than a PC at 2500rpm as you say?

Ill tell you, a PC is a dual action or random orbit, it isnt on a fixed axle like a drill or rotary. Assuming you dont bog down the drill, and it stays at 1200rpm, it will correct more, better, and faster than a PC. Its just like a mini rotary.

rwisejr
01-07-2009, 03:52 PM
A PC doesn't not do RPM's Its OPM's (orbits per min) major difference

D
01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
A PC doesn't not do RPM's Its OPM's (orbits per min) major difference

Exactly.

Emile
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
I guarantee you that a cordless drill does not spin fast enough to do paint correction.

D
01-08-2009, 01:18 AM
If a drill spins at 1200+rpm, and a rotary spins at 1200+rpm, how is the drill not fast enough?

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-08-2009, 01:21 AM
I guarantee you that a cordless drill does not spin fast enough to do paint correction.

I hope you are kidding, because if you are not, you are incorrect.

Showroom Shine
01-08-2009, 08:08 AM
You may find a drill that has enough rpm's. The problem is the positioning of the pad. More than likely you will have skipping and jumping because of the pad and angle of the drill motor. The only attachment I use on my drill is a wheel polisher. Other than that it's strickly used for drilling holes! HINT HINT!