PDA

View Full Version : water on car

maddenbowler
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
When its raining outside and you pull into your garage or carport and all the water is beaded on your car do you wipe it off or not worry about it?

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-05-2009, 03:24 PM
For me it depends on how long ago I washed the car. If I just did it, I would definitely wipe it down, well use a leaf blower first, then wipe it down. But if it's getting close to the next wash, I won't worry about it.

spamlova
01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
ditto, if you haven't JUST washed it, don't wipe it

maddenbowler
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
but if i leave it on there isnt that how water spots occur

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
If you leave it out in the hot sun then yes, but nothing bad will happen if you pull it in the garage or shade. Plus, if everything was done correctly, your car will be protected :)

GMC83
01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
if you have a good coat of wax on your car then i would not worry about water spots. If my truck is freshly detailed and i had to go somewhere and it was raining then i would be driving on a wet road which isnt clean and that is how it mainly gets dirty/dusty etc. Even if i was parked somewhere and it was being rained on i still would not worry about it because its just going to keep raining anyway and sooner or later i have o either wash it or drive it in the wet/rainy condition

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I would either blow it off with an air hose, I realize not everyone has one, or with an electric leaf blower. Between what is on the car and what the rain water has in it it will leave a slight etch mark if not washed quickly after the rain has dried. I would not just wipe it off with a Waffle weave because this would induce scratches/swirls from the debis already sitting on the paint.

spamlova
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Yes it's how spots occur, but if you have decent LSP on the paint, it will easily come off the next time you wash it.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes it's how spots occur, but if you have decent LSP on the paint, it will easily come off the next time you wash it.

As long as the spots do not sit on there very long I would agree. It doesn't take much to get water to etch the paint no matter how much lsp is on the paint.

ScottB
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I spray it down with the hose, and then blow it off. Should probably wash but hoping the water removed is the one with the contaminents and minerals that could cause etching.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I spray it down with the hose, and then blow it off. Should probably wash but hoping the water removed is the one with the contaminents and minerals that could cause etching.

Another good idea. Hose it off, pull it into the garage, then dry it off. Is that how you go about it Scott?

ScottB
01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Another good idea. Hose it off, pull it into the garage, then dry it off. Is that how you go about it Scott?

I hate to admit it but if still raining I will hose it off in the garage. I use a trickle (low setting) and try to spray towards door. I then try to squeegy the floor before the wife screams. :D

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Very nice, don't want to get the wife upset.

Surfer
01-05-2009, 07:36 PM
I have an oversized 2 car garage but have so much in there can't get any vehicle in. I've become lazy with detailing only b/c of how busy I am with work, but depending if it was going to rain again or continue raining, if not, I would sometimes blow it off with the electric leaf blower. I've got big palm trees on each side of the driveway, so the vehicles don't really sit in the sun long only at certain hours of the day.