PDA

View Full Version : Need input - detailing black paint

Pages : [1] 2

sportzfan76
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi self-detailers,

I have a 2007 BMW E60 (5 Series) with Jet Black Color paint

I am looking for some general suggestions on detailing my paint. My veh's paint is in good condition - but as with any black daily driver I do have a constant battle with swirls especially in the sun.

My plan is to utilize Menzerna Intensive polish followed with Menzerna Final polish using a meguiar's random orbital.

My question is can I use Zaino Z2 as a sealer over a Non-zaino product ?
Or, would I have to apply some Zaino All-in-One first/prior to allow the Z2 to bond ?

I like the fact that the Z2 lasts for quite a bit of time - that is why I am interetsed in continuing to use it vs some other sealer options like Jetseal 109.

Also - any thoughts on if I should also be using a glaze too ?

Appreciate any input.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Not sure on the Zaino sealer, but if you use the Menzerna compunds and polishes correctly, you will not need to glaze. Glazing is an extra step that only covers up swirls that you did not remove. Also, look into Poorboy's Natty's Blue paste wax. It's a great wax for dark colored cars.

RaskyR1
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
From what I've seen on the forums, your paint is very soft and hard to work with...

205 and Marring? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29522)

D
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
I replied to your post on bimmerfest.

GMC83
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
I think 105/205 may be your best option

D
01-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Why would you recommend 105 when he says his paint is in good condition? :rolleyes:

SMOOTHFINISH10
01-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Do a test spot with the final polish to see if you can use just that. If you have to use intensive then make sure when you go over in with the final polish you get every thing as well as the pass before, otherwise you may be able to see different shades of black under certain lighting. I used megs 105 and then menzerna superfinish when i had that problem so you may be ok with all menzerna. Ive owned nothing but black since I've started driving. I prefer zymol carbon it leaves shadows when first removing, then you just mist and wipe with water. It leaves a nice deep look, however may not last as long as you would like. Hope this helps!!!

GMC83
01-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Why would you recommend 105 when he says his paint is in good condition?
whoooooooooooooooooooops, sorry about that , i meant to say possibly M205 Finishing polish, thank you for correcting me

ScottB
01-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Menzerna SIP / Followed By Menzerna Nano / Followed by Z5Pro with Zfx x 2 coats. Add some Z8 spray and what a nice look. I find Z2Pro a little flat looking personally on black.

nitro78
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
according to zaino if youre not using zfx you must use zaino aio first before you apply z2.

nitro78
01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Menzerna SIP / Followed By Menzerna Nano / Followed by Z5Pro with Zfx x 2 coats. Add some Z8 spray and what a nice look. I find Z2Pro a little flat looking personally on black.
use a z6 wipedown between coats also to add even more gloss.

sportzfan76
01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Thank you for all the input .

spamlova
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
you can use z2 without zaio on a clean surface w/o polishes or oils. Zaino doesn't really like or bond well to surfaces not clean.

Emile
01-07-2009, 11:03 AM
After you do your polishing with the Menzerna products, just do an alcohol wipe-down and then apply Z-AIO, and then apply Z-2 or Z-5 in as many coats as you want.

Zaino Z-AIO contains cleaners and gentle abrasives so it will clean up pretty much anything that is currently on the vehicle's paint. Once you apply and buff off Z-AIO you can immediately apply Z-2 or Z-5, wait to dry, then buff off. If you want to apply another coat, you have to wait 8-12 hours thereafter. If you want to immediately just apply one coat after another, you have to use Z-2 or Z-5 with the ZFX.

foozed
01-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Uh oh.. I'm new to the world of proper detailing - and have learned more in the past month reading this board than I could ever have expected..
With that being said, after a few weeks of reading I purchased my first PC, and menzerna SIP and 106FA.
I own a Black Landrover LR3 that had some decent swirling from improper washing. I've done the hood and 2 front doors - the SIP is awesome at paint correction - WOW!
I used the 106FA only from reading to do so here - and then I used some z2 to top it off because I have 2 bottles. I also have z5, but thought that was for swirl removal / coverup.

I do have ZFX, but I think it's a pain in the ass so I didn't use it.

Has my z2 application over corrected paint done any harm?
It looks good and beads great.
Should I recorrect with one of the Menz's and get a regular wax ?