PDA

View Full Version : ONR Problems

Pages : [1] 2

nrengle
01-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Got a weird one today guys. Had to give up for the time being to figure this one out.

Was doing a ONR wash to my misses' car. Well it was streaking (mixed correctly) when wiping off. And leaving a haze. I went back outside (about 51F out), and I have a weird condensation on the whole car. Is it due to the humidity in the air why I'm having problems? It was raining outside of the garage when I was starting to have the problem.

loudog2
01-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I got that once. The temp in my garage was colder than outside. The overnight temp was 10 degrees, then it warmed up fast outside in the morning to about 45 degrees. Make a long story short my car paint was cold. As soon as I brought it out, it condensed and hazed a little.

GMC83
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
never really cared for ONR

Larry A
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I never had a problem at all with ONR. I washed my car with it yesterday in my garage . It was 34 degrees outside , and the garage was not heated. Car came out great. I applied the solution with a mf towel , wiped with a terry towel , and finished with a mf towel.

Chris Thomas
01-05-2009, 04:22 AM
if the ratio was correct, then its the water or the towel. Unlike the others, I've never had trouble that wasn't fixed with filtered water or switching towels that I "thought" were clean.

Chris Thomas
01-05-2009, 04:23 AM

irrevelant :offtopic:

nrengle
01-05-2009, 04:45 AM
Hmmm... The ratio was spot on, used the 2 caps to 2 gallons. My bucket is marked in 1/2 gallons. I tried 6 different towels, my usual drying towels, some Supreme 530's the artice whites, and a couple of the new purple ones... All washed with MF Restorer, and dried with no dryer sheet no softener...

Chris Thomas
01-05-2009, 04:53 AM
I looked on Optimum's forum after I read this and saw a recommendation to further cut the solution with more water. Maybe too many actives in the ounce you used? did you shake it? very weird indeed.

Emile
01-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Does the lady's car have any paint protection? It could have been a bad reaction to whatever paint protection her car is wearing, but like the others I suspect it's most likely a temperature issue.

CharlesW
01-05-2009, 10:18 AM
While I have not had the problem with any of the rinseless washes yet, it doesn't surprise me to hear of it.
It has happened to me when doing a bucket/hose wash and when using Poorboy's Spray & Wipe.
I just blamed it on the weather at the time.
The regular wash was completed at dusk during the spring or summer and a fine mist was forming on the car before I even finished drying it. This has happened more than once, but it is somewhat rare.
When I did a S&W clean up early one morning, I had the same basic problem. It was almost impossible to get a section completely dry and streak free. I only remember this happening once.
The true reason is not known to me, but it probably is humidity related.

Matt S.
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Considering the temperature and humidity levels you speak of, I would try it on a more "ideal" day to wash a car. Give it a shot one afternoon when it's a bit nicer out and let us know how it works out.

Bunky
01-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I have washed using ONR in the garage on some cold humid days (50 F in the garage and colder/damp outside) and it does seem to be a bit more difficult to get dry quickly.

I see this occassionally when I wash with traditional soap in cool humid conditions (like in the mornings), a towel will get 95% off and the rest evaporates normally. When it is humid, the remainder does not evaporate and has to be removed. I use an extra towel (plush one) to remove the film although it never seemed as bad as the OP said.

Bunky
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM

I do hope that Meguiars eventually markets a similar product OTC. I had heard they do sell something in Australia. Then I think the concept will get more widespread but I know it would be slow to catch on by the general public unless Billy Mays started promoting.

I see it now.. Mighty Wash...

nrengle
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys, I was thinking humidity too. Only reason was trying to do it yesterday was that it's the only day this week I would have the misses car. She's working mornings, and I'm busy at the club at night all this week.

As for paint protection, I put on a 2 coats of DGPS in late September and she really hasn't done anything to the car since, since I've been on tour that whole time. My plan was to actually top it up yesterday with some Max Wax too, but given the weird issue, it never got done.

muddy
01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure if it would matter, but has your bottle of ONR sat outside in a below freezing garage for a while?
Like I said, I'm not sure if it matters or not, but seems like none of these detailing products like to be in an outdoor freezer