PDA

View Full Version : cold weather product application

orionz06
01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
ok, here goes...

recently i had some work done to the car (panels painted) and want to clay the rest of it and seal/wax the car... the problem is the weather might not get above 40 for a while and i dont want bare panels. is there an issue with sealant application in low temps? i can ensure it wont get wet, but i cant keep it warm for very long if at all...

unless someone has a garage to loan in pittsburgh...

Emile
01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah it should bond just fine. Just use the finger-wipe test to see when the wax or sealant has fully dried and then buff it off.

orionz06
01-04-2009, 12:17 AM
hmm... never tried the wax, i was just hoping for wolfgang 3.0 to set

builthatch
01-04-2009, 12:37 AM
recently i had some work done to the car (panels painted)

how recently?

Torsion Tool
01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Loaned out my 3.0 this fall and never was returned, so I'll have to use the Klasse. Usual routine is three apps. with 24 hr. cure without rain to ensure coverage, but wonder about bonding issues at low temp. Generally acrylics don't like the cold. What is the critical ambient temperature below which it will fail to cure? Which if either is more tolerant, Wolfgang or Klasse HGSG?

builthatch
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
all of these special conditions, cure times, etc are why i run opti-seal ; )

orionz06
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
all of these special conditions, cure times, etc are why i run opti-seal ; )
can you elaborate?

builthatch
01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
can you elaborate?

sure...opti-seal can be applied over itself without any real wait between applications, independent of humidity or temps. same thing with exposure to humidity or water. it needs very little time to 'flash off' and after that, it's ready to rock.

it really doesn't get any easier and hassle-free than opti-seal.

and the results are stunning!

it's so easy to apply, and one bottle lasts indefinately unless you are detailing on the side or professionally.

Nick-Benz
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I believe you're not supposed to seal or wax over freshly painted panels. I wouldn't do anything to the painted panels for a few months. JMO Some of the more experienced members may be able to lead you the right way.

builthatch
01-06-2009, 06:51 PM
I believe you're not supposed to seal or wax over freshly painted panels. I wouldn't do anything to the painted panels for a few months. JMO Some of the more experienced members may be able to lead you the right way.

i asked the OP about what "recently" meant but didn't get an answer...

GMC83
01-06-2009, 07:19 PM
it just might be a little more diificult