PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax

AeroCleanse
01-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I've been polishing etc with the rotary but applying wax with a DA. I'm wondering if people use a rotary to apply wax as well.

RaskyR1
01-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I've been polishing etc with the rotary but applying wax with a DA. I'm wondering if people use a rotary to apply wax as well.

I've only seen it done in high volume shops.

Hand or DA for me only. ;)

Emile
01-03-2009, 01:55 PM
It depends on the product and what I'm doing.

For example, yesterday I applied one coat of Klasse AIO yesterday via White Pad with my PC7424 to the entire vehicle and then buffed it all off with my PC7424. Today I am applying a second coat of Klasse AIO by hand (and then buffing it off).

After that, I will apply Klasse SG by hand and buff off by PC7424. It seems to me that applying a wax/sealant by PC or by hand isn't any faster either way. I usually just use a PC if I'm using a cleaner wax/sealant product (with a white pad) when I want to remove any waxes currently on the vehicle.

I certainly will not do any paste waxes by machine because I use less product when I apply by hand. But the PC7424 is such a pleasure to buff any product off.

ScottB
01-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I dont know if I have ever seen a wax or LSP added by rotary specifically. I have seen hand, ROB, and even those huge waxmaster units. I still think all buffers waste to much product, and thus hand application is best especially when regulating how little to use.

AeroCleanse
01-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I dont know if I have ever seen a wax or LSP added by rotary specifically. I have seen hand, ROB, and even those huge waxmaster units. I still think all buffers waste to much product, and thus hand application is best especially when regulating how little to use.

No need to change what I do then..good.

flyfishindawg
01-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Am I wierd that I like to use my bare hands to apply wax? For some reason, I feel like I don't miss any areas when I do plus I just enjoy it.

CharlesW
01-03-2009, 10:19 PM
It depends on the product and what I'm doing.

For example, yesterday I applied one coat of Klasse AIO yesterday via White Pad with my PC7424 to the entire vehicle and then buffed it all off with my PC7424. Today I am applying a second coat of Klasse AIO by hand (and then buffing it off).

After that, I will apply Klasse SG by hand and buff off by PC7424. It seems to me that applying a wax/sealant by PC or by hand isn't any faster either way. I usually just use a PC if I'm using a cleaner wax/sealant product (with a white pad) when I want to remove any waxes currently on the vehicle.

I certainly will not do any paste waxes by machine because I use less product when I apply by hand. But the PC7424 is such a pleasure to buff any product off.Maybe a little bit of a thread hi-jack here, but pretty close to the topic.
When you buff off a product with your PC, are you using the MF bonnets?
If you are, how many does it take for the average car?
My feeling about applying the LSP with the PC pretty much mirrors yours. It doesn't seem to be any real benefit and I wouldn't bother to get out the PC and pads unless I was actually polishing.

Emile
01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Charles, yes I use the method that Autogeek recommends: a Lake Country 6" Lambswool Leveling Pad and then I put a microfiber bonnet right on top of that and buff away. I believe AG sells the kit of the Lambswool Leveling Pad and 6 bonnets for like $25 or $30. I bought that kit and I bought an additional 12 microfiber bonnets (for a total of 18 bonnets).

I usually go through 2-4 bonnets when buffing a product off the entire vehicle; this is including flipping the bonnet over and continuing until it gets gunked up on both sides before moving onto the next bonnet. The amount of bonnets I use can vary depending on what product I am trying to buff off and how thick of a coat I have applied.

CharlesW
01-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you Emile. :applause:

(Didn't find a "Thumbs Up" smiley.)

AeroCleanse
01-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Maybe a little bit of a thread hi-jack here, but pretty close to the topic.
When you buff off a product with your PC, are you using the MF bonnets?
If you are, how many does it take for the average car?
My feeling about applying the LSP with the PC pretty much mirrors yours. It doesn't seem to be any real benefit and I wouldn't bother to get out the PC and pads unless I was actually polishing.

When removing I use a microfiber by hand, never a machine.

Detail4Life
01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
When removing I use a microfiber by hand, never a machine.

yeah i think that's the best way also...that's what i do personally

CharlesW
01-04-2009, 11:29 AM
When removing I use a microfiber by hand, never a machine.Since it's your thread, I guess you don't mind a little bit of hi-jacking. :D
My product removal is also by hand with a MF, but I know several people do use a machine. It never seemed like it was worth the effort. It is very unlikely that I would have the patience to change bonnets several times during the removal. That would be more work for me than just wiping off the product by hand.
One thing I have tried that was recommended by someone else is removing product with a MF towel and the PC.
You put a MF towel between a clean pad and the vehicle and run the PC at speed 2. Once you have done it a few times, it is pretty easy to do, but I seldom use that method since just hand wiping is so easy.
I can see where the bonnets or the PC/towel method might be of some value to a person with limited mobility or strength.
Kind of a "What works for you" deal like a lot of detailing is.

Jimmie
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I agree with killr that PC ap uses too much product. My whole motorhome was applied with red pad/PC just to keep from getting arm weary. Removed by hand/MF.
There is one place the use of a bonnet is head and shoulders better than hand removal, IMO. That's removing "RainX". It takes that from a pita removal to really quick and easy.

bamaproshop
01-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I use a DA for swirl remover and polish but hand do the sealant and paste wax.

veyronracer91
01-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I apply sealant by PC because I seem to get a more even coat that way, and then buff off by hand. I apply paste waxes by hand though.