PDA

View Full Version : Black Paint Detail 101

wmphipps
01-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I read this back paint detail on a Dodge Forum and am thinking of giving it a try as I have two black cars. Both have some moderate swirls but not too severe. I would appreciate any comments on this before I order the Klasse twins. Can I do this in my unheated garage this winter during freezing temps?
Black Paint Care 101 by mikegonzo - DodgeForum.com (http://www.dodgeforum.com/forum/diy-do-it-yourself/18629-black-paint-care-101-by-mikegonzo.html)

D
01-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Thats a bad write up, I wouldnt follow it at all. Ill point out a few things.

Paint gets washed last
Microfiber is best
NEVER use a blade to dry
Proper polishing is the best way to get maximum shine, not leaving a glaze on for 1+ hour

MoBenzOwner
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I think she is off base. She recommends waxing after a wash and every month or two applying more KSG. I know for a fact that KSG will not bond over any wax that cantains carnuaba and many waxes/sealant that dont. I really doubt her claim of detailers getting 5 years from Klasse.

Emile
01-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I don't think the write-up is bad but applying SG and then waxing and then applying SG a few weeks later just makes no sense.

Last time I tried, Klasse SG did not bond to the existing coat of Collinite #845, even after letting the SG sit on the vehicle overnight. When I buffed off the SG, it just made the paint feel really sticky...no more slickness.

Brian_Brice
01-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Not a good write up to follow, if that is black paint detail 101, it must be at a very affordable community college.

Bigfoot
01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I wonder why that thread was closed. She might get bombed telling her that she knows squat about detailing!

Emile
01-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Not a good write up to follow, if that is black paint detail 101, it must be at a very affordable community college.
LOL, but the Klasse Twins do look nice on Black don't you think?

Brian_Brice
01-03-2009, 03:10 PM
LOL, but the Klasse Twins do look nice on Black don't you think?

Similar to plastic wrap.

mixxer
01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3107-entire-process-c6-owners-obviously-all-others-long-post.html

Emile
01-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Similar to plastic wrap.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I did two coats of K-AIO yesterday and today on my Obsidian Black G35, and I applied a coat of K-SG in the late afternoon. I will buff off the K-SG and apply another coat tomorrow but I'm hoping for nice results.

Brian_Brice
01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I did two coats of K-AIO yesterday and today on my Obsidian Black G35, and I applied a coat of K-SG in the late afternoon. I will buff off the K-SG and apply another coat tomorrow but I'm hoping for nice results.

It's all personal opinion, I have seen it look tremendous on a few dark colors, and have seen it mute black paints to a point. You really dont need to be leaving it on over night before you buff it off, "cured time" means how long it's been since you buffd it off. I would allow to sit and haze for an hour to an hour and a half.

Emile
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I've read on the interwebs that if you apply Klasse SG and let it sit for 20 minutes to an hour so that it can dry, and then you can let it cure overnight without buffing off the residue. This way, you can buff off the residue the next day and immediately apply the next coat. This also allows you to spritz some water or a quick detailer to ease buffing SG off since it is kind of finicky during removal.

I didn't use this method but I did apply two coats of Klasse AIO and two coats of Klasse SG to the G35, and I applied a coat of Dodo Juice Blue Velvet to the hood. The car definitely looks great but I can see how some people wouldn't like the look of the Klasse "Twins" on a Black vehicle. I have to say, both Klasse products are terrible to buff off. If I don't buff off AIO immediately after applying it to each panel, then it becomes very difficult to buff off the residue. Sealant Glaze bonds very tightly and leaves lots of hazing and streaking and required a full wipe-down with a quick detailer and a few towels after buffing it off with my Porter Cable and microfiber bonnets.