PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Finishing Glaze

Pages : [1] 2 3

veyronracer91
01-02-2009, 03:03 AM
I was curious about Menzerna Finishing Glaze, so I threw a bottle into my last order, and had a couple questions about it. I've been reading up on glazes in general, and I've been hearing that sealants don't adhere very well after using a glaze. My process was going to be:

Menzerna Power Finish
Menzerna Finishing Glaze
Wolfgang DGPS 3.0
Pinnacle Souveran Paste

Autogeek's website says to apply a water based sealant (i.e. DGPS 3.0) over the glaze, but I've been hearing conflicting opinions on this in other forums. Would I have any problems applying a sealant over the finishing glaze? Thanks in advance!

loudog2
01-02-2009, 08:11 AM
You will get many opinoins on this. Some will do a IPA wipedown before sealant application. Others will add the sealant right after polishing or glazing. It's the same with paint cleansing lotions. It(the bottle directions) says the oils help the sealant adhere and give it a better gloss.

veyronracer91
01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
What I've heard is that sealants stick better to a clean, dry surface than one that's covered in oils and fillers. I guess I'll just experiment with it and try to find out if the sealant adheres well with the glaze.

RaskyR1
01-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I apply all my sealants/waxes directly over my last polishing step or glaze.

That being said, I would say follow the directions of the manufacturer. I also believe it helps to stay with one companies products when you are worried about things like this.

Here is a quote I found on MOL that came from one of the Meguiar's chemists when asked a similar question...

A wax, (natural or synthetic), is a substance that when applied to a surface will not adhere properly on its own. Thus, it is necessary to add specialized miscible oils to allow the waxy material to spread and adhere evenly to the surface. These oils along with polymers are responsible for improving the functionality of the wax protection, appearance, adherence and the overall application.

This means the addition of any Meguiar's polishes prior to the wax application will not only enhance the paint finish, but also aid in the appearance, adherence and overall lasting ability of the wax which is applied over the top of it.

and here is the thread if you wish to read it.

Do Glazes/Fillers affect the bonding of NXT? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4831)

Hope that helps,
Rasky :cheers:

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I would just skip the glaze altogether. All a glaze does is fill in any blemishes that the compounds and polishes didn't remove. Once you wash your car again, the same blemishes that you covered up with the glaze will come right back. Just my $.02.

RaskyR1
01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I would just skip the glaze altogether. All a glaze does is fill in any blemishes that the compounds and polishes didn't remove. Once you wash your car again, the same blemishes that you covered up with the glaze will come right back. Just my $.02.

On my regular wash and wax days I would agree, but if you want your car to looks it absolute best, especially on days where you have to go to a car show or something, it does IMO seem to add a little depth and gloss. :cheers:

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
If you polish the car correctly the glaze is not going to add a thing. Plus if you are going to put a car in a show you would think you would make the extra effort and make the paint as perfect as possible by polishing it.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2009, 05:07 PM
On my regular wash and wax days I would agree, but if you want your car to looks it absolute best, especially on days where you have to go to a car show or something, it does IMO seem to add a little depth and gloss. :cheers:

Go with Menzerna :). You can't go wrong with it lol.

RaskyR1
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
If you polish the car correctly the glaze is not going to add a thing. Plus if you are going to put a car in a show you would think you would make the extra effort and make the paint as perfect as possible by polishing it.

So if you apply some Meguiars #7 show car glaze to a perfectly polished panel, you would not see a difference?

To each their own, but glazes like #7 have been around a long time and are very popular for a reason.

I do agree with the above in bold, but I, and others who use pure polsihes, believe it adds to the paint.

I actually demonstarted #7 to my fiancee when I was polishing her car. keep in mind my girl has never hand washed let alone waxed a car in her life. Doing a 50/50 test panel, even she seen a noticable difference when I applied some #7 to half her cars hood, and yes, her hood was 100% free off any scratches or swirls.

Here is a close up of the finish...
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/work/IMG_4530.jpg

Full hood shot, not of the 50/50 though
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/work/IMG_4525.jpg

Rasky :cheers:

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I know it has been around for a very long time, I have used it in the past and still have a bottle from years ago. I have done the testing myself and if you polish a vehicle correctly the glaze is not going to add a thing. Plus your pics in a lighted garage do not prove a thing, you can make any paint shiney in a lighted garage, thats why myself and alot of other people do not put a lot into garage pics. If you know what you are doing you can tell by just someone's process if they actually achieved the results that are in the pictures. Pictures are nice to show off a shiney car but it does not show the true condition of the paint. We don't use a glaze at all at my friends custom paint shop, once again no need for glaze when polished correctly.

loudog2
01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd say skip the glaze after the power finish 203. I've used it by itself with a white LC pad on a red ford sport trac. It looked great. What color is your car? You could follow-up the 203 with either 87MC or 85RD for a little extra pop. Glaze isn't needed if your already polishing IMO.

RaskyR1
01-02-2009, 06:06 PM
The pics were simply an attempt to show you the car had already been corrected.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/work/IMG_4504.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/work/IMG_4522.jpg

A Macro will usually pick up scratches, even in the shop lighting, seen to the right in the bulb reflection (this was before correction)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/work/IMG_4501.jpg

We've gone off topic again. The OP was asking about the possible bonding issues of sealants when a glaze/pure polish has been applied. Whether or not they beniffit the finish, I guess the OP will have to decide for himself.

Rasky

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm grabbing the pop corn and pop...

D
01-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I was curious about Menzerna Finishing Glaze, so I threw a bottle into my last order, and had a couple questions about it. I've been reading up on glazes in general, and I've been hearing that sealants don't adhere very well after using a glaze. My process was going to be:

Menzerna Power Finish
Menzerna Finishing Glaze
Wolfgang DGPS 3.0
Pinnacle Souveran Paste

Autogeek's website says to apply a water based sealant (i.e. DGPS 3.0) over the glaze, but I've been hearing conflicting opinions on this in other forums. Would I have any problems applying a sealant over the finishing glaze? Thanks in advance!

There are few glazes you can apply under sealants. Look at Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze.

But when it comes down to it, you really dont need a glaze at all. You need to polish the paint correctly which not only includes removing imperfections, but also includes properly jeweling and burnishing the paint for maximum gloss. Many people dont do this and or dont know how to properly do it.

Remember, just because the imperfections are gone, doesnt mean you've polished the paint to maximum gloss. Two completely different processes.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
It was to help the op for one, he does not need to buy the glaze and secondly to let him know if he did polish the vehicle correctly that the glaze will not help. I posted because you said it would help, once again it was to let the op know it isn't needed and especially for a show car. If someone does not want to go through the correct steps of paint correction, then a glaze is for them. To me this forum is to help someone to detail their vehicle correctly, otherwise why would they be on here. Dan's post sums it up. Also if #7 enhanced the finish on your girl's car you did not polish it correctly or it has had several washes inbetween without any type of maintenance and yes the glaze would enhance the finish. I feel it would be to a new persons benefit to see or be given the info to correct the paint correctly then just say just use a glaze to hide the swirls. For what some of these polishes cost it would help show the value of say a Menzerna or the new Meguiars polish if people new what they can do,when worked correctly, then you would not need to buy say something extra like glaze and not have to worry if it will work with your lsp or not.