PDA

View Full Version : ONR Rinseless Wash Mix?

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
01-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Several people have commented on the fact that it takes 1/2 as much ONR as it does DP 4 in 1 to use them for a rinseless wash.

Several people also have commented on using ONR at 1 oz. per gallon of water rather than the 1/2 oz, suggested by Optimum.
Just out of curioisity, how many ONR user mix the product at 1/2 oz. per gallon as recommended?
If you use more, why?
What do you feel is the benefit?
Do you see any negatives when/if you use the stonger mixture?

Chris Thomas
01-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Use it at 1/2 oz per gallon unless you have hard water. The ONR will encapsulate the minerals in the tap water and be less effective in that situation. There is no benefit otherwise.

Brian_Brice
01-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I use it as recommended because the good Dr. has spent much more time with that product than I have, and it's been in my supplies for three years now.

Bunky
01-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Use it at 1/2 oz per gallon unless you have hard water. The ONR will encapsulate the minerals in the tap water and be less effective in that situation. There is no benefit otherwise.

Maybe no benefit for cleaning, but there should be a benefit for improved lubricity if they recommend a higher concentration (6 oz per gallon) to be used as a QD or clay lube.

I wonder why the encapsulation properties are NOT dependent on concentration. I would think if that were true you could use even less ONR per gallon and get similar cleaning results (maybe with marring).

CharlesW
01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Use it at 1/2 oz per gallon unless you have hard water. The ONR will encapsulate the minerals in the tap water and be less effective in that situation. There is no benefit otherwise.Using more with hard water has been mentioned, but most of those that have mentioned using ONR at 1 oz. per gallon have not talked about needing more because of the hard water.
Makes sense though.

I use it as recommended because the good Dr. has spent much more time with that product than I have, and it's been in my supplies for three years now.Following the instructions for a product is always a good idea, but a surprising number of people use the ONR at 1 oz. per gallon.

Other than it being a waste of product, are there any other negatives to the 1 oz. per gallon mix?
Does it still remove sufficiently from the surface?
I was going to say remove completely, but I don't think ONR does remove completely from the surface.

akimel
01-01-2009, 03:51 PM
I imagine that most of us who use 1 oz per gallon do so simply out of paranoia and a desire to wash our cars as "safely" as possible. A couple of days ago I compromised: two ounces of ONR to 3 gallons of water. :) It seemed to work okay, but heck if I know. Even after using ONR with six separate washings, it still feels "unnatural." ;)

Al

nrengle
01-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I use ONR at about 1.5 oz's per 2 gallons cause I do have quite a bit of particulate in the well water here. This way I don't drag more excessive amounts of particulate onto the paint. I haven't had any issues doing it this way either. It almost even seems to add just a touch more shine to the finish than the normal mix.

Chris Thomas
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Using more with hard water has been mentioned, but most of those that have mentioned using ONR at 1 oz. per gallon have not talked about needing more because of the hard water.
Makes sense though.

Following the instructions for a product is always a good idea, but a surprising number of people use the ONR at 1 oz. per gallon.

Other than it being a waste of product, are there any other negatives to the 1 oz. per gallon mix?
Does it still remove sufficiently from the surface?
I was going to say remove completely, but I don't think ONR does remove completely from the surface.

Most people admittedly use more because they are skeptical, or extra cautious. It won't hurt, but isn't necessary. There are no harmful consequences, beyond waste. Myself I would recommend mixing your solution a gallon at a time at recommended dilution rather than upping the concentration in 3 gallons. It would be much more efficient to use a gallon till dirty, dump it, then make a new batch than to keep adding more ONR to a dirty solution. For example, instead of making 3 gallons and doing the whole car, you could make one to do the horizontal surfaces then dump it, make a new gallon for the vertical surfaces then dump it, make a new gallon for the wheels-tires-wells.

Another thing worth mentioning is not to use much pressure. It's not uncommon to wash a panel 3-4 times before drying, if the car is very dirty. If you think you need more ONR to help loosen the dirt for dirtier panels, I'd use a pre-spray of ONR at wash strength and allow it to work just before you begin.

akimel
01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Most people admittedly use more because they are skeptical, or extra cautious. It won't hurt, but isn't necessary. There are no harmful consequences, beyond waste. Myself I would recommend mixing your solution a gallon at a time at recommended dilution rather than upping the concentration in 3 gallons. It would be much more efficient to use a gallon till dirty, dump it, then make a new batch than to keep adding more ONR to a dirty solution. For example, instead of making 3 gallons and doing the whole car, you could make one to do the horizontal surfaces then dump it, make a new gallon for the vertical surfaces then dump it, make a new gallon for the wheels-tires-wells.

Another thing worth mentioning is not to use much pressure. It's not uncommon to wash a panel 3-4 times before drying, if the car is very dirty. If you think you need more ONR to help loosen the dirt for dirtier panels, I'd use a pre-spray of ONR at wash strength and allow it to work just before you begin.

Good advice. Thanks.

CharlesW
01-01-2009, 04:56 PM
My usual procedure is one gallon for washing, one gallon for rinsing the mitt.
Because of not wanting to dilute the wash mixture with plain water from the mitt rinse, I put about 3/4 of an oz. in each.
Our water is 150 mg/L or 8.76 grains or less according to the local water works. I did check a report and it appears to usually be in the 6 to 7 grains area.
Since that seems to be a little on the high side, my extra 1/4 oz. is to help with that.
Hey, it helps me feel more comfortable with the procedure so it's a good investment.
I have used about a gallon of rinseless washes, both ONR and 4 in 1 and they have virtually replaced my conventional hose and bucket washes.
The rinseless washes and Poorboy's Spray & Wipe are what I use about 95% of the time.
Occasionally, I will do a conventional wash just because I enjoy it.

Bunky
01-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Most people admittedly use more because they are skeptical, or extra cautious. It won't hurt, but isn't necessary.

Why? I am wondering why 1 oz per two gallons is just right and 1/2 oz per 2 gallons is not enough and 1 oz per gallon is too much. It is not necessary does not explain anything. I guess I need to ask Optimum's chemist (Mr G) directly to get an answer.

I would also like to add that this ratio was determined by the mfg just as DP 4n1 has a ratio determined by the mfg. We do not know the trade-offs made to determine the printed formula...maybe AG is being more conservative hence the view it is more expensive when in fact they may be very similar but just with different conclusions on recommended dilution.

For example, we kow DG 901 is 1 oz/gallon but many users find it you can by with 25% or more less.

Chris Thomas
01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
It's just like anything else. The manufacturer's recommendations are simply "recommendations." End users may tweak or change as needed. Like with motor oil: If a manufacturer recommends to change it every 5000 miles, but you notice that it is very dirty at 3000 miles, you should change it anyway because you have a "working knowledge" of the dynamics of "your" car. There are those that will only use things per direction without applying common sense and sometimes there are repercussions. Use it at the recommended dose for your first run. If you think you need more lube, add some more ONR. If your water gets too dirty, dump it and make some more. If your mitt becomes too dirty switch to a fresh one. The guys that WON'T use it at the recommended strength are not being fluid and flexible and so are those who will only use it per directions. You have to get beyond advice, and feel the product work. You will only get this from experience and paying attention as you go along.

There is an Ask Dr G section on the Optimum Forums and an Ask the Autogeek section on this forum if you need a more technical answer. My experience with ONR is both personal and professional in my detailing business. I would never tell you to do something that I wouldn't do to my own, or my customer's cars.

I have also found that at any ratio, you will "feel" more slick, slipperyness if you can use Distilled or RO water.

Regards,
Chris

CharlesW
01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I have also found that at any ratio, you will "feel" more slick, slipperyness if you can use Distilled or RO water.

Regards,
ChrisDo you use distilled or RO water for all/most of your ONR washes or have you just done some experimenting?

The cost for a few gallons is not a factor if it really does do that much better job.

Chris Thomas
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
My dad own's a few local tunnel washes and I go get 5-10 gallons of RO at a time free! Also, my tap water is very good... I'm very fortunate considering some of the troubles you other guys have. Distilled gallons at Wally World are about 60 cents here.

CharlesW
01-01-2009, 08:02 PM
My dad own's a few local tunnel washes and I go get 5-10 gallons of RO at a time free! Also, my tap water is very good... I'm very fortunate considering some of the troubles you other guys have. Distilled gallons at Wally World are about 60 cents here.
The $1.20 for a couple gallons per wash isn't going to be a factor. If things get tight, I could probably get by with one gallon of mix. Maybe even use a gallon of distilled and a gallon of tap water, half and half.

I'm too lazy to do a search right now, but I think I have read where distilled water tends to absorb Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere and this in turn creates Carbolic Acid. Now my water is no longer pure. :D