PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender Plus and Jr

ScottB
12-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Ok I am tired of finding my Vette's battery dead after sitting for a month. I spent alot of money on an Optima battery and it sure did not help. Which product is better and why ?? How easy to install and sit ?? Give me the info !!!

HighEndDetail
12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Um, Scott just drive it everyday:D:D:D Then no dead battery.

Put a battery kill switch on it. A few of my viper guys do that so there batteries don't die.

Surfer
12-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I had a Battery Tender Plus for when I would go away, as the Viper would do the same thing. I gave it to mothers boyfriend and he uses on the Vettes for the same reason. C4 battery seems to die once in awhile yet once jumped shows full charge and works fine. C6Z same problem.

I don't know what it is but it happens to almost any sports car, Ferrari, Lambo, Viper. Vettes, Porsche etc. Yet, never had that problem with any of the trucks that would sometimes sit longer. Friend used to have a Ferrari that had to be constantly on a battery tender, all connections were fine, couldn't detect any electric glitches, yet a new battery would be dead after a week if not tended. They got rid of it but nobody every tracked down the problem.

Far as I know, the Jr is just a more compact version with lower output but should still work I would think?

TLMitchell
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Far as I know, the Jr is just a more compact version with lower output but should still work I would think?

Eggzactly. The Jr is easier to stash if you're traveling, the Plus is more convenient if an outlet isn't real close to where you're using it. Although the Jr is lower output they're functionally the same as far as usage unless you're trying to ramp up a LARGE battery and are in a hurry. In that case you prolly oughta be using a charger anyway.

TL

Jimmie
12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Battery Tenders are the best if you've got an outlet nearby. If not Google solar battery charger. The one that I've got sets on the dash of my motorhome (no 110v outlet) and charges through the gig lighter 12v @ 1.5 amp trickle. Perfect for just maintaining. Plus it won't overcharge. It also has alligator clamps to connect to the battery terminals rather than 12v recept.

Heard nothing but good about the Optima batteries.

So.Cal.
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Ok I am tired of finding my Vette's battery dead after sitting for a month. I spent alot of money on an Optima battery and it sure did not help. Which product is better and why ?? How easy to install and sit ?? Give me the info !!!

A friend of mine keeps one on his race car in the garage, plugged into the wall and the hood is almost all the way closed. I've never seen it not start.

As Far as the Optima Goes. Its a love/hate relationship with them. I have been running them in my vehicles sine the mid-late 90's when I worked in a alternator/starter/battery shop. I love the high CCA (cold cranking amps) and they do have a low self discharge rate it sounds like you have a steady amp draw. (after market stereo products, car alarm... flux capacitor?) hard to say. I replaced mine 3 times in the first couple of years for running them dead a few times and they would not charge back up properly.

I had a Battery Tender Plus for when I would go away, as the Viper would do the same thing. I gave it to mothers boyfriend and he uses on the Vettes for the same reason. C4 battery seems to die once in awhile yet once jumped shows full charge and works fine. C6Z same problem.

You should always be careful jumping a battery. This throws the alternator into overdrive. Which can create a static charge in the battery causing battery voltage issues or burn up regulators or other parts inside the alternator. Its more like a maintainer than a charger You should always recharge a battery with a proper charger. Yes I know we have all done this and even I have and gotten away with it. but I have rebuilt two of my own alternators for frying them this way. Our shop would not even give a warranty unless you brought us your battery to charge for this reason.

Just thought you might want to keep that in mind.

Gunslinger
12-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Newer cars full of electronics will only go about 35 days before the parasitic drain takes its toll. It doesn't matter if it's a Vette, Porsche, Viper or a Kia, though the more sophisticated cars have far more of an electronics suite than lesser cars, so are at greater risk of a complete discharge.

I keep a Battery Tender Plus on my '69 Vette and both Avanti's while they sit all Winter in the garage. Before I started using the Battery Tenders, the Vette with little to no electronics would still start fine after the several months being idle...the '02 Avanti with its electronics would last maybe 5-6 weeks at best.

The Battery Tenders eliminate the problem or potential problem and the batteries will last longer since they're not going through the cycle of completely discharging (and maybe freezing) and being recharged.

ss-truck
12-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I like the Battery Tenders because the charge at a very low rate and will not overcharge or overheat the battery . They also turn off when the battery is fully charged . They also have a quick disconnect lead that bolts under the battery cables so its just a quick plug in when you hook up . I have them on my riding lawn mower and car trailer . Love them .