PDA

View Full Version : Need some help- Parents car spraypainted!

lethalxls1
12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone,
I got some bad news today- some wonderful people spraypainted my parents Town Car along with 15 other peoples cars that live on my parents street. My parents are 70+ years old and just got the car(which they really love) a few months ago-its a 1998 but it looks almost new because my dad takes great care of it plus the original owner was a senior citizen as well-who garaged the car and rarely drove it. The black spraypaint came off the outside(which was mainly on the windows, window trim, and license plate) but my dad must have forgot to lock the car and they spray painted both front leather seats which are gray in color -two letters about 10" tall 6" wide -it said B&A whatever that means. We tried a special brush for leather seats I bought them a while ago from AG (I think its horse hair) and soapy h2o but it didn't work at all.

I was scared to try anything else until I asked you guys (the pro's) because I don't want to damage the leather. The deductable is $500 so we wanted to try ourselves first. We already called the ins. company,took pictures, and have a police report.

It is pretty sad that people have nothing better to do than things like this. Its so pointless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pyrocite
12-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I was told that Acetone might work along with hair spray (cheap one). I know acetone might remove the original color of the leather so i would save those two as a last resort.
I removed spray paint with mineral spirits but only on painted surfaces.
Good luck finding the best tool for the job.

lethalxls1
12-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks- yeah I was kinda waiting until I tried anything that harsh- I appreciate the reply though.

So.Cal.
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
maybe some goo gone. it's sort of mineral spirits like. test it on another unseen area first. Even a leather or leather safe interior cleaner could leave it discolored Due to the Chemicals in the paints.

Sorry to hear what happened.

ScottB
12-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Ed on sight recently spoke of a product sold locally called GraffitiRemover or something like that.

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Acetone or the graffitiremover as suggested. If those do not work I can guarantee oven cleaner will remove it. It is harsh but wipe quickly and you might have to buff there area but it will get rid of the paint.

Wendell Jarvis
12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Acetone or the graffitiremover as suggested. If those do not work I can guarantee oven cleaner will remove it. It is harsh but wipe quickly and you might have to buff there area but it will get rid of the paint.

Funny you mentioned Oven Cleaner,,,,,,more than a year ago I detailed a car for a local car dealership, it was a 1991 Honda Accord, the alloys was the kind that were factory but with small slots all the way around the rims....anyway, this car was in bad shape...the rims had brake dust build up so thick......I used 4 or 5 products that normally clean the dust off, but not this time, so I got to thinking how can I get these clean especially small slots and so thickly caked on.........anyway Oven Cleaner completely removed it...I mean all of it..........wouldn't recommend it on really nice cars, but it sure suprised me.......the rims looked new....thought I would share that story.

ss-truck
12-29-2008, 09:38 PM
I have used GraffitiRemover before but never on leather . It worked great on painted surfaces . Try it in a small area first , don't let it soak in . if that removes the paint use a conditioner ASAP and then a good protectant . Good Luck !

So.Cal.
12-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Wd-40 might do the trick, funny someone mentioned that to clean some goo out of my MF's also.

lethalxls1
12-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I was thinking like you and tried wd-40 but it didn't do it. Looks like I am going to give the grafitti remover a go-depending on what the can says its safe on-then try a small spot. If that doesn't get it off then I will try the acetone/ hair spray/ then finally oven cleaner. I think if I wipe it off really fast then hit it with a clean/moist towel followed by a leather cleaner/conditioner that would be my best chance.

I really appreciate all the great advice. Any ideas where I can get the grafitti remover locally? Wal-Mart?
Thanks again everyone

lethalxls1
12-30-2008, 01:03 AM
I did some more research and people claim extra virgin olive oil will get dried paint off leather. I will try it first and let you guys know.

So.Cal.
12-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Keep us informed.

as far as the acetone. I am sure that would get get it, I would try mineral spirits (classified mild solvent) or denatured alcohol (solvent) then acetone. its going to be a step by step pain. I would personally rather use the least harsh first.

good luck

wytstang
12-30-2008, 02:05 AM
If you use oven cleaner make sure you are very well ventilated. Use a small fan to get fresh air moving in your direction.
Also:
How to Remove Spray Paint from Leather | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_2100573_remove-spray-paint-from-leather.html)