PDA

View Full Version : eagle one nanowash has surfactants, do you think they are aggressive?

builthatch
12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
i've been using this stuff for a while because i knew it was ph balanced in it's useful state. also, it's affordable, easy to find and seems to pretty well concentrated.

someone mentioned on another forum that alot of the mass retail stuff has surfactants. i understand that surfactants are not all bad, but it seems that high quality soap uses surfactants that are not aggressive and safe (IE 1Z), and cheaper soap uses aggressive ones...

do you all think the eagle one uses the bad ones?

my problem is i wash so many cars, including my 3, so many times, that alot of the stuff on here is just so expensive for the volume of product you get.

any suggestions? even if there is something that is mass retail available but very safe, i'd like to have that in my back pocket just incase i run out of whatever i get from here. and also, until i get whatever i get from here.

gewb
12-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Soaps are surfactants. Perhaps you are thinking of the PH of the product.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Surfactant)

I use two otc products for our daily drivers, depending on time of year:

> Blue Coral in winter as it does a better job of removing mag chloride...

> Meguiar's Deep Crystal the rest of the year.

There are other/better specialty products but these two are readily available and affordable.

builthatch
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Soaps are surfactants. Perhaps you are thinking of the PH of the product.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Surfactant)

I use two otc products for our daily drivers, depending on time of year:

> Blue Coral in winter as it does a better job of removing mag chloride...

> Meguiar's Deep Crystal the rest of the year.

There are other/better specialty products but these two are readily available and affordable.

thanks for the reply. no, i am very familiar with both terms and am not confusing them, hehe! ph is one factor that i look at for these car wash shampoos. i knew eagle one was ph balanced when in solution with water. what i'm asking is about the quality of the surfactants in the eagle one. as i mentioned, some soaps use aggressive surfactants that will strip LSP (dish soap, many OTC car washes) in order to allow the casual "car washer" to get the most bang for the buck on a poorly maintained vehicle (to our standards, atleast). now, these are great for a pre-wash to a full finish correction detail, so you can assure yourself that all previous treatments are gone, and what you are looking at when reviewing the finish is exactly that, but-

some soaps, like the 1z, use very fine, high quality surfactants that do NOT attack the LSP.

then, and judging by what you've said you might not know this, but some soaps are classified as 'non-detergent' and don't have any surfactants. a perfect example of this is ONR.

what i'm asking is if the eagle one in everyone's opinion most likely has poor surfactants. everything points to that direction, considering the cost and its concentration. the problem as i mentioned is i can't find something that is affordable that i know for a fact is 1000% safe for LSP and can provide value considering the amount of washes i do to LSP prepped cars.

Surfer
12-29-2008, 01:24 PM
If it helps you can get good pricing on the larger soap containers here, as well as bulk pricing. Will be overall cheaper than buying continuously otc and you'd be using a boutique wash. I can't remember what larger sizes DG wash comes in but that is my favorite wash. DP was popular for large bulk type orders.

builthatch
12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
ok, gewb...good call on the deep crystal.

i called megs and they said that all of their car washes have very high quality low aggression surfactants and of course are ph balanced in solution. so, yeah- their stuff is def safe vs. LSP. the only difference according to them is if you want add'l gloss/sheen or do you want bang for the buck cleaning. since most of us on here are using and keeping up on our LSP, that means the deep crystal would be fine since it will simply remove dirt but not necessarily provide add'l gloss sheen, which is what you pay for in the gold glass line and their other lines like mirror glaze and detailers.

i wish i could use something more exotic, but the price is just prohibitive on everything out there.

Surfer
12-29-2008, 02:36 PM
ok, gewb...good call on the deep crystal.

i called megs and they said that all of their car washes have very high quality low aggression surfactants and of course are ph balanced in solution. so, yeah- their stuff is def safe vs. LSP. the only difference according to them is if you want add'l gloss/sheen or do you want bang for the buck cleaning. since most of us on here are using and keeping up on our LSP, that means the deep crystal would be fine since it will simply remove dirt but not necessarily provide add'l gloss sheen, which is what you pay for in the gold glass line and their other lines like mirror glaze and detailers.

i wish i could use something more exotic, but the price is just prohibitive on everything out there.But have you looked at bulk pricing or the large containers here? It's cheaper then continuously buying otc and you get a boutique product. You can get a gallon of DG wash which is my favorite for 25 bucks, and a little goes a long way.

builthatch
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
But have you looked at bulk pricing or the large containers here? It's cheaper then continuously buying otc and you get a boutique product. You can get a gallon of DG wash which is my favorite for 25 bucks, and a little goes a long way.

duragloss? yeah, i've seen alot about that stuff in terms of bang for the buck...

then again, the optimum non-ONR is only a few bucks more.........with the 20% it's even less!

damnit.....this is tough.

Surfer
12-29-2008, 03:05 PM
duragloss? yeah, i've seen alot about that stuff in terms of bang for the buck...

then again, the optimum non-ONR is only a few bucks more.........with the 20% it's even less!

damnit.....this is tough.DG rocks. ONR is not really comparable as thats a different product (more comparable to the other rinseless/waterless products). Optimum has a good soap wash as well (not ONR).

25 bucks for 128oz of Duragloss, and goes a loooooong way. Think its about an ounce per every 3 gallons. Extremely slick, cleans good, and gentle on paint, smells like a bunch of cherries too (I love cherries lol). Look at DP, Optimum, DG etc. You can see what the large container/bulk pricing is.

nitro78
12-29-2008, 06:34 PM
another vote for duragloss wash, its the best ive used no matter what the cost and it replaced my normal wash of megs deep crystal. also any wash can strip your lsp if used in the incorrect ratio, dg at the correct ratio is 100% safe on your lsp. p.m. me with your address and i will flip you a sample of the duragloss wash and some aquawax which i like to use after washing.

mazdaspeed
12-29-2008, 07:05 PM
ive been using DP, free gift back in the summer and i love it. i also have a few others but way to cold to wash the car by hand right now 32f outside, come on spring

builthatch
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
guys/girl...thanks for the info.

i ended up ordering the big container of optimum regular wash and also a big container of the DG. i'll try both.

amy, thanks for the offer! i'll be a-ok once my order gets here!

Surfer
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
guys/girl...thanks for the info.

i ended up ordering the big container of optimum regular wash and also a big container of the DG. i'll try both.

amy, thanks for the offer! i'll be a-ok once my order gets here!:cheers: you'll never go back to an otc wash once you use a high quality one like you just ordered.