PDA

View Full Version : How to Not Wash MF Towels

So.Cal.
12-28-2008, 04:16 PM
After receiving my latest AG order I unpacked everything and tossed the MF's into the wash. I used the free sample of MF rejuvenator and no softener/dryer sheets.

4 arctic white miracle towels
6 edgeless arctic white towels
4 indigo edgeless towels
4 cobra yellow all purpose towels
1 supreme guzzler
2 blue glass guzzlers
4 cobra deluxe Jr’s

after washing and drying them I noticed clear goo on about half of them.. I was scratching my head trying to figure out where this came from. Upon further inspection it looks as though the indigo towels had a sticker on them and the washing and drying softened the stick and randomly attached itself to all the white ones. And on the indigo a residue was left behind (I blame them because the residue is in the same shape in the same spot on everyone) Oh and all the white ones have this cool ice blue look, while the yellow ones have a greenish tint.

So I thought I would share my misfortune in the hopes someone else will not go through this also. I should have looked at all of them before washing but being hyped up on antihistamine while fighting a head cold I had a lapse in judgment.

I am going to try and shave it off with a razor in hopes I can salvage them before putting them into the interior only pile.

Jimmie
12-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Feel your pain. That hurt just reading about possibly ruining MF's.
Before you do a last ditch you might try boiling them. Maybe someone that's had luck boiling will chime-in. I don't know the particulars but they boil them for a number of minutes. Some have saved some bad situations by doing it.

nitro78
12-28-2008, 06:00 PM
boiling them? i had the same color transfer thing when some dark blue polishing cloths turned my white miracle towels light blue but at least they were not trashed. i feel for ya.

charliehaley
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
I think boiling would melt the fibers.

Rsurfer
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
No it won't. Boiling will help to get rid of residue trapped in your mf. As far as the sticky residue, you might want to try using lacquer thinner and then wash.

builthatch
12-28-2008, 11:23 PM
No it won't. Boiling will help to get rid of residue trapped in your mf. As far as the sticky residue, you might want to try using lacquer thinner and then wash.

call AG and see what they suggest.

the solvent idea sounds good...rsurfer, could a prepsol/adhesive remover type product help w/o being as harsh as the thinner? then again, does it matter; i guess the thinner won't hurt the MF.

as mentioned, boiling won't hurt them, but i doubt it will help in this situation; i don't think it'll do much good at all. some people have said that boiling helps remedy linting issues. i found it to not help me when i had a bad batch of cobra indigos....

Rsurfer
12-29-2008, 12:29 AM
I've used prep sol, lacquer thinner, paint thinner and acetone on mf towels and it didn't seem to hurt them. At this point you have nothing to lose.

So.Cal.
12-29-2008, 01:06 AM

looks like MF is good untill around 235°f until they start to melt. Still with my luck I would have a pot of MF goo. Doubt the wife will go for this.

I've used prep sol, lacquer thinner, paint thinner and acetone on mf towels and it didn't seem to hurt them. At this point you have nothing to lose.

The prep, paint or lacquer maybe. I have used Acetone on a regular basis and would prefer to keep it away from the MF.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I ended up tweezing, scraping, shaving and cutting. I thought about making some MF dolls when you pull the towel open it would have that paper doll look. :D Anyway. I will make do, and not make the same mistake again.

As I said earlier. Hopefully someone else won't either.

Thanks

TLMitchell
12-29-2008, 12:51 PM
<major snippage>

after washing and drying them I noticed clear goo on about half of them.

One of the best and mildest goo removers is WD40. Spray WD40 on the areas then blot the goo with paper towels to absorb. Once the crud is removed rewash and post the results Hope this works for you.....

TL

ScottB
12-29-2008, 06:27 PM
I think boiling could work or maybe presoaking the area in pure APC first. How do you boil MF towels, all I can see is someone stirring one of those turkey friers.