PDA

View Full Version : DP 4in1(wash+rinse) good stuff??

AudiTTman
12-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Well I saw it was on sale, and with 20% thats an awesome deal. I wasnt going to use it for rinse-less cleanings. Mostly for full on washes w/mitt and maybe misting the LC pads here and there. This is probably the one area of detailing im most unfamiliar with. I know its simple process, but id rather use great products instead of average. I have been gettin those nasty wash marks on the car from the the cheap microfiber sponge i have along with my 7 dollar megs wash from autozone.

CharlesW
12-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Well I saw it was on sale, and with 20% thats an awesome deal. I wasnt going to use it for rinse-less cleanings. Mostly for full on washes w/mitt and maybe misting the LC pads here and there. This is probably the one area of detailing im most unfamiliar with. I know its simple process, but id rather use great products instead of average. I have been gettin those nasty wash marks on the car from the the cheap microfiber sponge i have along with my 7 dollar megs wash from autozone.
1. You might want to reconsider trying it for rinseless washing. It works great for that. Haven't used it for any of the other listed purposes.
2. I doubt that your marring is from the Meguiar's car wash. Meg's makes some pretty good products.
3. IMO, Most marring is caused during the drying process. Maybe some good MF towels should be on your next order.
4. I don't know anything about your "cheap" MF sponge, but I use "The Bone" MF covered sponge with no marring problems.

IME, Good results are usually 90% process, 10% product.
Not so good results are usually about the same. :)
Check the paint finish during your wash/dry routine and see if possibly something in your technique is causing the marring.

AudiTTman
12-27-2008, 12:33 PM
yea now that you bring it up, the way ive been drying the car is basically just with a absorber and it does get the water, but i can see that trails/streaks left behind where ever i run it across the car. Are you also saying i should dry only with a MF towel, then pick up the rest with something like your "The Bone" MF??? If so what kind MF would you recommed. There are like 20 different names for each of the colored towels on here and i havent quite gotten down the jist of them all yet

CharlesW
12-27-2008, 02:49 PM
yea now that you bring it up, the way ive been drying the car is basically just with a absorber and it does get the water, but i can see that trails/streaks left behind where ever i run it across the car. Are you also saying i should dry only with a MF towel, then pick up the rest with something like your "The Bone" MF??? If so what kind MF would you recommed. There are like 20 different names for each of the colored towels on here and i havent quite gotten down the jist of them all yet
I have used the Absorber with no problems, but the surface has to be truly clean since the Absorber will just drag any dirt remaining across your paint. I no longer use a chamois of any type.

Yes, I would only use a MF towel for drying. If done properly with good towels, you won't need to "pick up the rest" with anything. You may need more than one MF towel per drying session. When the one you are using gets damp and doesn't leave a dry surface behind it, it's time for another one.

The Bone is intended as a washing tool, not a drying tool. Seems to work great with rinseless washes.

Many people prefer waffle weave MF towels for drying, but I seem to have just as much success with regular terry weave MF towels.

Because of the great variety available, I think your best bet would be to call Auto Geek on their toll free number and let them give you some recommendations. They have several BOGO deals right now and chances are you won't be disappointed in any of the higher end towels they have.
(That's my cop-out so I don't have to admit that "I havent quite gotten down the jist of them all yet.") :)

Bunky
12-28-2008, 08:07 AM
The Absorber is safer when used by blotting and then just a MF towel to pick up the residue.