PDA

View Full Version : Drying

AeroCleanse
12-26-2008, 01:59 PM
So its winter here in Wisconsin and I have been using ONR to wash with. However the drying results with normal microfibers leave a lot to be desired.

So whats the best drying towel?

The Jerk McGerk
12-26-2008, 02:04 PM
I find that while the car is still wet if you apply some quick detailer spray and then wipe with the microfiber (dry at first then will be wet obviously) you get a streaky/hazy look. Then go over it again with a fresh DRY MF towel and the results look nice.

This is from my recent experience, there may very well be better/more efficient ways to do so.

dublifecrisis
12-26-2008, 02:54 PM
i use a bigger fluffier drying towel (like the big Yellow Target vroom) to sop up the majority then I follow up with a guzzler or other MF with a quick detail spray. panel by panel.

D
12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
What are normal MF towels?

Surfer
12-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't know about up north, but down here I use an electric leaf blower, all these years and I've never had a need for any drying type towels. The little drops that are left are fine when I go over with microfiber and qd'er. Plus the blower will shoot water out of nooks and crannies that will continue to drip if you dry with a towel.

DrivingImpressions
12-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I really like the microfiber drying towels from Griot's. They have worked the best of any I have tried.
Micro Fiber Drying Towel - Drying - Car Care - Griot's Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+drying/micro+fiber+drying+towel.do?search=basic&keyword=drying+towel&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

julian
12-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't know about up north, but down here I use an electric leaf blower, all these years and I've never had a need for any drying type towels. The little drops that are left are fine when I go over with microfiber and qd'er. Plus the blower will shoot water out of nooks and crannies that will continue to drip if you dry with a towel.

:whs: must be a Florida thing!

VISITOR
12-27-2008, 12:25 AM
using a ultra-soft waffle weave or x-large microfiber towels in conjunction with a leaf blower (use it mainly to blow water out of the nooks and crannies) works great. i never considered using a leaf blower as a complete means to dry a car...

AeroCleanse
12-27-2008, 09:20 AM
I really like the microfiber drying towels from Griot's. They have worked the best of any I have tried.
Micro Fiber Drying Towel - Drying - Car Care - Griot's Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+drying/micro+fiber+drying+towel.do?search=basic&keyword=drying+towel&sortby=newArrivals&page=1)

How does that compare to the Cobra drying towels?

DrivingImpressions
12-27-2008, 10:46 AM
I personally like the Griot's better during winter in the garage. They absorb the water more without smearing.

Surfer
12-27-2008, 12:08 PM
:whs: must be a Florida thing!You just have to get used to the funny looks from neighbors and especially landscapers:D

Bunky
12-28-2008, 08:12 AM
With ONR, I end up using two towels: wipe towel then buff. I use large ww mf or terry weave to get most up and then use a dry towel to remove the residue.

CharlesW
12-28-2008, 09:16 AM
So its winter here in Wisconsin and I have been using ONR to wash with. However the drying results with normal microfibers leave a lot to be desired.

So whats the best drying towel?

With ONR, I end up using two towels: wipe towel then buff. I use large ww mf or terry weave to get most up and then use a dry towel to remove the residue.
With ONR, using two MF towels works good for me as well. (Works good for drying after a regular bucket wash, too)
With ONR, I use terry weave since I think it has a better chance of holding any dirt that may have been missed in the terry fibers. My waffle weave MF towels really don't get much use. I do sometimes use them after a bucket wash, but I don't make any special effort to use a WW towel. It's just a case of what is on top of the stack. Terry or WW both seem to work fine for me.

Something that works good for me that I picked up from another site is the use of a spray wax after the first drying pass.
After washing a section with the ONR, make your first pass leaving the surface slightly damp, spray on the wax, make your final pass with a dry MF buffing off the spray wax at the same time. Wash & Wax in basically one process.
I happen to use Duragloss Aqua Wax, but some people use Optimum Car Wax with good results. Chances are, most any good spray wax would work.