PDA

View Full Version : machine help

jamores23
12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
ok so I am getting a free dewalt high speed and this for some reason after reading everything online is the first gift i am scared of lol. I am very close to buying a meguiars pc, but should I just learn how to use the dewalt on my girlfriends dads van "he doesnt care if i mess it up" but then again if i can renew the work truck it would be a great confidence builder. Some one told me that with a foam pad on a dewalt it is almost impossible to burn through the paint. what do you think?

Matt S.
12-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Far from impossible. There are many rotary techniques that can be learned ahead of time to avoid burning paint.

Keep the pad moving at all times, start on lower speeds to get accommodated to the machine, be very careful around edges, and when you're near an edge, angle the pad so that it's moving AWAY from the edge, and not bringing the pad TOWARDS the edge - this will greatly reduce the chances of burning an edge.

You may want to start with lighter stuff, like finishing pads with finishing polish, or maybe even a paint cleaner just to get a general feel for it and how it works.

D
12-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Some one told me that with a foam pad on a dewalt it is almost impossible to burn through the paint. what do you think?

Is this the same person who told you 3M is better than everything? Do they work in a body shop or what?

Craig
12-24-2008, 12:52 PM
OMG, I have a Makita:eek:

Pyrocite
12-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Let me know how it goes :) im getting a rotary after new years

rousher99
12-24-2008, 02:52 PM
i use a Milwaukee high speed buffer at work. and i had a really oxidized car so i had a heavy compound and pad. .. i will tell you the truth. i was trying to burn the paint to see what it takes to burn paint(car was going to be wholesaled) but i never did. i here wool pads can burn paint like crazy though

akimel
12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Be sure to check out Dave KG's guide to rotary polishing:

Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024)

PDF version:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/images/misc/rotarypolishing.pdf

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I just want to add to Matts advice. A foam will burn the paint easier than a wool pad. I would get yourself a wool pad to practice with because it glides alot easier-all the people I helped with a rotary I suggested this and it helped out a ton. Just take your time and do no stay in one spot to long.

Rsurfer
12-24-2008, 09:02 PM
i use a Milwaukee high speed buffer at work. and i had a really oxidized car so i had a heavy compound and pad. .. i will tell you the truth. i was trying to burn the paint to see what it takes to burn paint(car was going to be wholesaled) but i never did. i here wool pads can burn paint like crazy though
Because the car was going to be sold, you tried to burn the paint? Glad you don't work for me or you would be looking for another job. Why not try that on a damaged panel.