PDA

View Full Version : Swirl marks returned after waxing!

user1029
12-21-2008, 04:55 PM
This is quite exasperating. After washing the car, I used a Porter Cable with SSR1 and I was very pleased with the results; all the swirl marks were gone (I used a flashlight to check because I don't have a halogen light but it has been ordered)! I then proceeded to apply Gold Class Wax and once it cured, I wiped it down with a microfiber towel. ALL THE SWIRL MARKS RETURNED! I used a completely brand new Lake Country Blue Finishing pad and a clean microfiber towel, how the hell is this possible? As stupid as it may sound, I think in the future I'll forgo waxing the car lol

Ryan
12-21-2008, 07:41 PM
My opinion would be the MF towel. Did you leave any tags on it?

So.Cal.
12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Hmmm, Couple thoughts / questions

Did you ever check it in the sunlight? Most flashlights won't have enough light to give you a good result.

Maybe you might want to try a white pad and wipe down with a 50/50 mix after polish.
I think the ssr1 has no fillers but you still want a clean area before wax.

You may need to try a final polish after swirl removal.

What kind of MF did you use.

D
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM
This is quite exasperating. After washing the car, I used a Porter Cable with SSR1 and I was very pleased with the results; all the swirl marks were gone (I used a flashlight to check because I don't have a halogen light but it has been ordered)! I then proceeded to apply Gold Class Wax and once it cured, I wiped it down with a microfiber towel. ALL THE SWIRL MARKS RETURNED! I used a completely brand new Lake Country Blue Finishing pad and a clean microfiber towel, how the hell is this possible? As stupid as it may sound, I think in the future I'll forgo waxing the car lol

Can you take pictures of the marks? Did you use the blue pad with SSR1 or with the wax? Did you wipe the paint down with alcohol after polishing, prior to wax? Did you wash the MF before using it for the first time? What kind of MF did you use? What kind of paint are you working on? What speed was the PC on when you applied the wax with it? Did you apply the wax right after polishing was completed? Was the car in the garage or outside?

rousher99
12-22-2008, 01:08 AM
it is posible that some dust got on the paint. but i wouldnt think it would make it that bad. or like ryan said. it could be the mf towel. if its a mf from auto zone or walmart. i have had them swirl paint before

Dkblue05
12-22-2008, 01:11 AM
it could be the mf towel. if its a mf from auto zone or walmart. i have had them swirl paint before
+1 I avoid that stuff like the plague(sp?)

Emile
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM
What vehicle is this and what is the color of the vehicle?

What was the lighting situation when you were polishing?

What color pad were you using when polishing with the Poorboy's SSR1?

What kind of towels did you use to buff off the wax?

gewb
12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Autopia as a lengthy thread (currently 6 pages) regarding paint defects returning after finishing - a very good read (need to read ALL of the pages):

A new perspective on paint defect return (interesting) - Autopia.org (http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/112084-new-perspective-paint-defect-return-interesting.html)

Sounds just like your problem - not sure about a solution.

Regards,
GEWB