PDA

View Full Version : ONR only for the winter weather guys?

TheTick
12-20-2008, 02:11 AM
I live in warm Southern California and have always enjoyed traditional hose and rinse car washing. I recently learned about ONR and started reading up on it here. Seems like the main advantage is being able to use it in your garage for those cold seasons.

I've been leaning toward getting a foam gun, but all the rave reviews about ONR has got me interested. What do you guys think...onr or foam gun? Foam gun looks more fun.

wytstang
12-20-2008, 02:19 AM
Foam gun is more fun, but I use ONR for winter and Summer use. When it's 98+ here in the summer I want to be done asap and ONR does just that. Same goes when it's 65* or below. Fall and Spring it's snowing in my driveway :cool:

Bunky
12-20-2008, 06:48 AM
I like to use ONR when I am in the mood to wash my vehicles but the weather is not cooperative. It is hard to do a traditional wash in my parts in the summer except early morning or late evenings. I can do it anytime with ONR. In the winter it is usually at least 45 F in the garage and can easily wash when it is 50 F or so...turn on some halogens and it will go up to 55 F. It can be 30 to 40 outside.

CharlesW
12-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Rinseless washes are great for any time of the year.
You can avoid the sun in the summer and avoid the cold/freezing temperatures in the winter. I think you will like either ONR or 4 in 1. I buy both by the gallon to get a better price, but you can buy the 32 oz. size for a trial run for not a lot of money.

Can't comment on the foam gun since it has never interested me in the least.

Showroom Shine
12-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I just bought another gallon of ONR. Works well anytime, but especially for Ohio winters!

akimel
12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
The folks over at Detailing World swear by their foam lances, and that thick foam does look really cool. But the foam lance (gun) also needs a pressure washer.

I have now used ONR several times, and I am impressed. I can see using it year around. Once one gets the hang of it, it saves time, and of course it saves water, plenty of it. However, I have yet to use ONR when my car was really, really dirty. Before trying it, watch ScottWax's YouTube videos on Optimum No Rinse.

Cheers,
Al

AeroCleanse
12-20-2008, 06:33 PM
ONR all year for me.

CharlesW
12-20-2008, 06:44 PM
The folks over at Detailing World swear by their foam lances, and that thick foam does look really cool. But the foam lance (gun) also needs a pressure washer.

I have now used ONR several times, and I am impressed. I can see using it year around. Once one gets the hang of it, it saves time, and of course it saves water, plenty of it. However, I have yet to use ONR when my car was really, really dirty. Before trying it, watch ScottWax's YouTube videos on Optimum No Rinse.

Cheers,
Al
If by really, really dirty, you mean caked on mud or winter snow/salt residue, (Don't know your location so the winter reference may not apply :)), I don't use the rinseless or waterless washes until I have removed the heavy, thick layers either at the DIY spray wash, a touchless drive-thru or with my hose in the driveway.
That seems like it might be just a little beyond its intended purpose.

PaintPolisher
12-21-2008, 03:22 AM
I have been using ONR year round here in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area since our drought started about 2 years ago or so. For really dirty cars or those with tons of pollen I do a pre-spray with a pump up gallon sprayer. Use of a hose will bring fines and jail time. I do use gallon containers of distilled water to avoid any issues.

ONR has exceeded my expectations. :cheers:

Use for pre-wash spray, regular wash, clay lube and when cut about 1/3oz. to a gallon or so of water cleans glass real nice.

Just about everything you wish to know about Optimum NO RINSE™ [ONR] wash & shine is provided - ONR: The Definitive Thread - Optimum Forum (http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=892)

al the paintpolisher