PDA

View Full Version : What is a glaze?

Kris R
12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I have never used glaze before. I bought one of those XMT kits and it comes with a bottle of glaze. I read somewhere "you can definitely tell which details skip the glaze step and which ones dont."

the bottle says "carnuba glaze" so this is the point of confusion.

I'm guessing that glaze is a fine top coat that is meant to fill in the minor defects left after a fine polish? (meguires speed glaze?) and if it has carnuba in it, that its supposed to offer some protection?

Whereas regular carnuba wax has no fillers and just offers protection. So if you use a carnuba glaze you should still wax over it?

Just let me know if I have this right and what your opinions and experiences are with glaze.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
12-19-2008, 03:49 PM
I just bought the XMT Intermediate Swirl kit, after you use the first two products, you apply the glaze. It's supposed to bring back the shine...I believe it acts as a polish (someone with more experience may step in here haha), and then you can top the glaze off with a carnauba wax/sealant.

Emile
12-19-2008, 03:54 PM
After you polish your vehicle, you can apply a coat of glaze. It will bring the full shine back to the paint, and it's not uncommon for a glaze to contain oils and fillers to conceal light scratches and swirls. After you apply the glaze and then buff it off, you would apply your wax on top of that. Glazes typically do not offer any real paint protection.

You don't HAVE to apply a glaze, I believe that you can go from XMT #1 straight to whatever paint protection you want, such as a wax or sealant.

Kris R
12-19-2008, 03:58 PM
After you polish your vehicle, you can apply a coat of glaze. It will bring the full shine back to the paint, and it's not uncommon for a glaze to contain oils and fillers to conceal light scratches and swirls. After you apply the glaze and then buff it off, you would apply your wax on top of that. Glazes typically do not offer any real paint protection.

You don't HAVE to apply a glaze, I believe that you can go from XMT #1 straight to whatever paint protection you want, such as a wax or sealant.

ok. thats more along the line of what I thought. thanks man.

wytstang
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
My experience with glazes is they are for adding to the "wet look" of the paint. If you have polished the paint the full shine is already there. A glaze will just give you the added wet look via the oils they contain. The are glazes that are polymer based and filled with gloss enhancers. These can be used with sealants were as oil based glazes can not (for the most part).

ScottB
12-20-2008, 08:20 AM
a true glaze indeed is used for a wetter experience ...

Showroom Shine
12-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I have used only one glaze. I was all caught up in the hype of detailing and bought some Danase Wet Glaze. My thoughs are that this Glaze was Ok. I actually like the Souveran Paste resuls better in the shine area. Can you ever have to many different products on your finish? Every product I buy, I use on the Detail Truck before it touches a customers vehicle!

TMD
12-20-2008, 07:43 PM
After we're done polishing, a slight haze is usually left behind. We use our glaze to remove the haze before sealing the paint.

ScottB
12-20-2008, 11:01 PM
After we're done polishing, a slight haze is usually left behind. We use our glaze to remove the haze before sealing the paint.

A true glaze has no polishing ability and wont remove haze. A product like a finishing polish (ie. Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0) will remove haze. Thats the problem as some terms in detailing are used loosely and must read label and understand what the manufacturer is offering.