PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sponge Best?

csquared78
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Hello all,

Newbie here....been reading more than my feeble brain can process about detailing.

I've always used mits to wash, but have been reading great things about a sea sponge.

What's the best product out there for non-abrasive washing?Feed back please

Emile
12-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I have heard that the Sea Sponge is possibly the best because it is super soft to the paint and holds tons of soap.

The softest wash mitt/sponge I have ever used is The Bone by Cobra. Very smooth and soft scrubbing of the paint, but it does not curve well the way wash mitts typically do so it is not as easy to access hard-to-reach areas such as side skirts and under the front and rear bumpers.

My favorite combination so far is a pair of "Bones" and a microfiber wash mitt (preferrably the Cobra Blue Chenille Wash Mitt as they are super soft)...the Bones for most of the body and the microfiber wash mitt for the hard to reach areas.

I am sure that other members will chime in with their recommendations as I have never tried a sea sponge for myself.

wytstang
12-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I've heard some sea sponges still have grit/shell particles in them even after being thoroughly rinsed. SO beware of that. I have not used one myself.
I'm still a big fan of real sheep skin wash mitts. I get mine from excel detail due to price, performance, and selection.

Ryan
12-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I use sheepskin wash mitts and the white schmitt. I find them both to be equally mar free to the paint, however the edge goes to the schmitt for drying time and overall duarability

howardm4
03-18-2018, 12:44 PM
I've heard some sea sponges still have grit/shell particles in them even after being thoroughly rinsed. SO beware of that. I have not used one myself.
I'm still a big fan of real sheep skin wash mitts. I get mine from excel detail due to price, performance, and selection.

Thread from a long time ago but I will tell you that when I had a black car (a Mitsu. from the 90's), my sea sponge scratched the CR*P out of it (now that I know).
DO NOT USE ONE.

FUNX650
03-18-2018, 05:18 PM
Thread from a long time ago

It’s pretty close to the thread
revivification record... :props:

but I will tell you that when I had a black
car (a Mitsu. from the 90's), my sea sponge
scratched the CR*P out of it (now that I know).

DO NOT USE ONE.
•I don’t know about every vendor’s offerings;
-but the quality of these $30.00 ones:
Large Natural Sea Sponge (https://www.autogeek.net/natseaspon.html)
-will surprise the CR*P out of ya.

•Been using this one for at
least 10 years now:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/8B64FE2C-2651-4F84-9DD5-F1842E5C3519.jpeg

Bob