PDA

View Full Version : New formula DP Sealant review

Pages : [1] 2

dengood1
08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, I detailed my first vehicle with the new formula DP Sealant and I was highly impressed! First of all, the vehicle was a 1998 Ford Expedition that hadn't been hand washed in years(used drive thru wash) and hasn't been waxed in years either so needless to say I had my work cut out for me. Lots of water spots and swirls galore and the paint felt dry and gritty! I didn't clay because I figured the SSR 2.5 with the cutting pad would remove the contaminants, which I was right. Oh my, I feel for you guys with SUV's as this was more work than anticipated.
DP's Shine Shield Sealant(new formula): This was the easiest LSP product I've ever used! I used my finishing pad with the PC to apply because of the sheer size of the Expedition. I only applied it to the pad 4-5 times to cover the entire vehicle. It's a thinner version than the old version and smells different too. The old version smelled like bananas, but I cannot describe the smell of the new one(not fruity!) Not bad smelling, but doesn't smell fruity. You can tell when applying this stuff that it is SLICK and a little goes a long way. I let it sit for 30-45 minutes as the bottle stated, but it hazed up within a minute or so and you can barely see the haze. The removal of this sealant is a dream----SUPER easy, comes off with very light pressure. Did I mention this stuff was EASY to use? The shine it produced was impressive too, looked wet with only 1 application! You can see in some of the pics that the metal flake "popped" in the right light. I haven't used any other sealants so I cannot compare, but if someone wants to send me some Wolfgang I will be more than happy to do a side by side:D I didn't want to top with a wax yet because it still needed to cure, and I'm not even sure I'm going to or if it needs it.

Conclusion: This is a GREAT product in which I highly recommend, especially while it's on sale AND you get some free stuff with it right now:D I obviously can't comment about the durability yet.

Here were the products used in this process:

DP Extreme Foam Soap
Poorboys SSR 2.5 w/ Wolfgang orange light cutting pad
Poorboys SSR 1 w/ Wolfgang white polishing pad
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze w/ Wolfgang grey finishing pad
DP Shine Shield Sealant (NEW formula!)
DP Gel Wheel Cleaner
Meguiars Hyper Dressing(cut 1:1)

I attached a few pics, but here is the site where I posted all the pics:

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/06081513/nk3qigqwnv/

Let me know your thoughts!

Mike T
08-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Great job. Looks fantastic.

articsilber323
08-15-2006, 04:26 PM
realy looks good

cant wait to get mine from brown 2 morow

-z

Reddwarf
08-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Good review. Thanks!

He brings up an interesting point. If you are going to use a swirl remover like SSR 2.5 or 1, do you need to clay the car first?

Juztang
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
The only way you would need to clay if it hadn't been done in the last couple of months. Just do the claybar test. Wash the car, put your hand in a plastic baggy and run it across the paint. If the paint feels rough then it need clayed.

dengood1
08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
The only way you would need to clay if it hadn't been done in the last couple of months. Just do the claybar test. Wash the car, put your hand in a plastic baggy and run it across the paint. If the paint feels rough then it need clayed.

I figured if the vehicle hadn't been hand washed or waxed in a couple of years that the clay would get too contaminated so I went straight to the SSR 2.5., plus I didn't want to use my Pinnacle Ultra Clay on that thing----that's for MY vehicles:D

FloridaNative
08-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Great review Dennis! :) The expedition is glowing! lol You did a great job. The Pinnacle Ultra Poly wouldn't be used in a situation like this where the vehicle's paint hasn't been cared for properly. In a situation like this you would need the regular Poly Clay (yellow bar). For me, I always like to clay before polishing. When you have bonded contaminants like rail dust for example which are small pieces of metal embedded in your clear coat, I don't like to take any chances at all with something like this becoming loose during the polishing stage and being dragged across the paint. I would rather do the claying beforehand and have the peace of mind during polishing. Just my 2 cents. :)

Meghan
08-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Great job Dennis, thanks for contributing.

dengood1
08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Great job Dennis, thanks for contributing.

No, thank YOU for allowing me to contribute. My friend was absolutely blown away at how his Expedition looked (and felt);). I think I can even improve on it....but that's another day:D THAT was a lot of work. Thanks again Meghan!

dengood1
08-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Great review Dennis! :) The expedition is glowing! lol You did a great job. The Pinnacle Ultra Poly wouldn't be used in a situation like this where the vehicle's paint hasn't been cared for properly. In a situation like this you would need the regular Poly Clay (yellow bar). For me, I always like to clay before polishing. When you have bonded contaminants like rail dust for example which are small pieces of metal embedded in your clear coat, I don't like to take any chances at all with something like this becoming loose during the polishing stage and being dragged across the paint. I would rather do the claying beforehand and have the peace of mind during polishing. Just my 2 cents. :)

True, true.......but I wasn't going to purchase a clay to waste on his vehicle as this was a "freebie". And when I mentioned him picking up some clay at Autozone he looked at me like I was crazy!:p

Meghan
08-15-2006, 08:02 PM
True, true.......but I wasn't going to purchase a clay to waste on his vehicle as this was a "freebie". And when I mentioned him picking up some clay at Autozone he looked at me like I was crazy!:p
We have to keep in mind, the majority of people in this world have no clue clay has any purpose outside of the kids molding stuff at school with it! :confused:

FloridaNative
08-15-2006, 08:04 PM

The Clay Magic kit is only 10 bucks at Autozone! LOL But I know what you mean!! When I do people's cars who have never had them detailed before I don't even tell them the process and all the products I use unless they ask. It's all Greek to them. :) You did an awesome job! :applause:

Meghan
08-15-2006, 08:14 PM
....It's all Greek to them. :) You did an awesome job! :applause:
No it's all "GEEK" to them, sorry I couldnt resist the dry humor!:p

dengood1
08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
No it's all "GEEK" to them, sorry I couldnt resist the dry humor!:p

BAH!!!!! You're such a nut! You're laughing at yourself right now aren't you!!:p

Funny though:D

dengood1
08-15-2006, 08:18 PM
All "GeeK" now, but my acquaintances are slowly becoming "enlightened"! I send AG's link to just about all of my address book:cheers: