PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for polishing 3M Star Shield ("clear bra")

builthatch
12-15-2008, 08:23 PM
i have an '01 Ferrari 360 in argento nurburging coming back tomorrow for the final touches of a complete detail. i did his finish a couple weeks back (optimum compound and/or polish, poli-seal and opti-seal) and the results were wonderful, however, i didn't work on the bra. it's got what look like swirls atop of the plastic. any suggestions? i was thinking Novus 2 and a green pad, or poli-seal and a green pad...i don't want to experiment on it since it's pretty noticeable on flat and low boot of this car.

any proven solutions?

thanks in advance...

builthatch
12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
i have an '01 Ferrari 360 in argento nurburging coming back tomorrow for the final touches of a complete detail. i did his finish a couple weeks back (optimum compound and/or polish, poli-seal and opti-seal) and the results were wonderful, however, i didn't work on the bra. it's got what look like swirls atop of the plastic. any suggestions? i was thinking Novus 2 and a green pad, or poli-seal and a green pad...i don't want to experiment on it since it's pretty noticeable on flat and low boot of this car.

any proven solutions?

thanks in advance...

dang, found this - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-forum/10336-how-detail-car-clear-bra.html

ScottB
12-16-2008, 07:29 PM
contact the manufacturer ... some will discolor the bra. I have many on corvetteforum that use Plexus only on those areas.

builthatch
12-16-2008, 08:15 PM
contact the manufacturer ... some will discolor the bra. I have many on corvetteforum that use Plexus only on those areas.

unfortunately, i don't know the manufacturer. the car was purchased used several years ago to there is no way to know for sure who makes it. it most likely is a ventureshield or 3m, so i guess if anyone has experience with both and knows what NOT to do for either, i can eliminate that from my list.

plexus i think would be a perfect second step, but i'm looking for a solution to possibly correct the light marks that resemble swirling in the plastic...i was under the impression that plexus would be less able to do such correcting.

HighEndDetail
12-16-2008, 08:25 PM
use Plexus only on those areas.

plexus i think would be a perfect second step, but i'm looking for a solution to possibly correct the light marks that resemble swirling in the plastic...i was under the impression that plexus would be less able to do such correcting.

I buddy of mine installs the clear bras for a living. And he told me only to use plexus or the DP version. Since the plastic has a protective coating in it. And not to use any thing abrasive on it.

builthatch
12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I buddy of mine installs the clear bras for a living. And he told me only to use plexus or the DP version. Since the plastic has a protective coating in it. And not to use any thing abrasive on it.

hmm...interesting. i'm curious if this guy really gets into intensive details though, where people would even bother correcting such a thing past what the manufacturer recommends. then again, i'd guess 'yes' if he's friends with you! hehe. it's just that i hate to leave it. i don't see anything mild like plexus really doing anything, you know? i might decide to test out a spot and see, because honestly it's annoying to have a gorgeously prepped finish and the swirled plastic bra. leaving well enough alone is tough.

i found this on a well known BBS from the UK

The Defendall Paint Protection Film (Half way up the front wings and front compartment cover, front bumper, front splitter, sills, halfway up the rear quarters ad behind each wheel arch) was polished using Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish using 4” Lake Country CCS polishing pads (as suggested by Polished Bliss), several passes were carried out to remove the swirls, but this had little effect, and light swirling, water marks and some abrasions were still evident.

So, we switched to Menzerna 106FA Final Finish again using 4” Lake Country CCS light cut pads, and had better success with this product.
several passes were carried out to remove the swirls.
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish using 4” Lake Country CCS polishing pads were then used as a final polishing stage.

Finally, one coat of Menzerna FMJ was applied, followed by two coats of Raceglaze Series 55 wax.

thanks for the suggestions guys. i'll have to mull this one over as i was essentially rained out today anyway. he didn't want to drive the thing in the rain to my spot.

MadOzodi
12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
So weird to see ppl here that I associate with other boards. BH, I have a Ventureshield on my MS3 and SIP + 4" orange pad with a UDM didn't do squat. I was afraid to step up to the Flex 3401. Then again, I have no swirls on my Vent. bra. and believe it's downright impossible to induce swirls on it.