PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna SIP as a one step?

Pages : [1] 2

TheTick
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I tried sip for the first time yesterday on a friends black dodge magnum. The car is 2yrs old and had a fair amount of swirls. PC and a LC orange pad easily removed the swirls and left a great finish. I expected I would have to follow up with 106fa, but we could not see any reason to do the extra work. The car looked fantastic! This was done at night in my garage with good flourescent lighting and we also used halogen lighting to really scrutinize the finish.

My question is.... would 106fa made it look that much better? He was already so happy with the way it looked that he didn't want to bother with the 106fa. Maybe we need to take a better look in the sunlight? I've read that SIP required a follow up with a finer polish.

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, you should follow up with a finish polish. The finish polish does enhance the finish.

loudog2
12-14-2008, 09:30 PM
The SIP w/a LC orange pad will cause micro marring. I would follow it up. Espeacially with a black car. You will notice a difference after you use the 106FA.

TheTick
12-15-2008, 01:49 AM
The SIP w/a LC orange pad will cause micro marring. I would follow it up. Espeacially with a black car. You will notice a difference after you use the 106FA.

Thats what I heard....We just couldn't see the micro marring. I guess we'll have to take a better look at it in the sun.

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-15-2008, 02:23 AM
The color of the pad does not matter, you should always follow up a polish with a finishing polish.

Wendell Jarvis
12-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Yes, you should follow up with a finish polish. The finish polish does enhance the finish.

:iagree: Been there.....done that..........lol

TheTick
12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I asked him to call me if he notices anything and he hasn't called so I guess sip is a one step as far as he is concerned.

vinnier6
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
i would think if used with a white pad it would finish down enough to not need another polishing step....

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
i would think if used with a white pad it would finish down enough to not need another polishing step....

It doesn't, like I posted above, you always need to follow up with a finishing polish on a finishing pad.I am not going to go in depth about this again, there are numerous threads on other forums and I think a few on here that explain this and the reasons why.

mixxer
12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
like asphalt says its going to need to be finished down ,you might get away with it on a light colored car ,but on black NO WAY!

TheTick
12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah...after all the reading that I've done here, I was sure we would need to follow up with 106fa. It's amazing that we couldn't find any reason use a finishing polish. Maybe the flourescent and halogen lighting aren't good enough to show the micro marring.

builthatch
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
P_D just featured one of his details using SIP and a white pad for an LSP ready finish....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/16149-presidential-detailed-2008-honda-civic-si-not-even-9k-clock.html

granted, it was on a super soft new honda.

ASPHALT ROCKET
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
That just shows the difference between an average detail versus a top notch detail. Once again look at the top detailers and see if they just stop at sip, we do not, we finish with a finishing polish. You will have to probably look at other forums to see this, even though there are a few that post on here sometimes.

builthatch
12-15-2008, 08:59 PM
That just shows the difference between an average detail versus a top notch detail. Once again look at the top detailers and see if they just stop at sip, we do not, we finish with a finishing polish. You will have to probably look at other forums to see this, even though there are a few that post on here sometimes.

hmm. it seems you might have lost focus of the OP's question and intent. he asked if it can be done. as evidenced by the detail i linked you to, it can be done. it's obviously a matter of preference of both the detailer and the customer. some people, some customers, and some finishes require nothing more than K.I.S.S. the OP is using a PC, so he probably falls within your classification of an 'average' detailer. not everyone is paul dalton, hehe. i believe that if he is using SIP and on this forum, he's probably a little more than an average detailer....

i certainly would not call Presidential_Detail an average detail artist either...

loudog2
12-15-2008, 09:12 PM
hmm. it seems you might have lost focus of the OP's question and intent. he asked if it can be done. as evidenced by the detail i linked you to, it can be done. it's obviously a matter of preference. some people, some customers, and some finishes require nothing more than K.I.S.S. the OP is using a PC, so he probably falls within your classification of an 'average' detailer. not everyone is paul dalton. granted, i believe that if he is using SIP and on this forum, he's probably a little more than an average detailer....

i certainly would not call Presidential_Detail an average detail artist either...
Asphalt didn't lose focus. The OP used a LC orange pad, not a white. The orange pad will cause some marring. Espeacially on black. If the OP wants to do a one step, so be it. People are just giving their opinion on how to do it right. SIP w/a LC white can be done. The orange will cause marring.