PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Cluster

phrosyn
12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Is there a product out there that would make a scratched cluster cover look like new again? Im actaully looking to do my headunit which seems to be the same plastic.

Pyrocite
12-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Any of the plastic restoration systems should work, the problem is accessing it with a pc/flex. If you could remove the cluster and polish it outside of the car you could make it like new again (with rotary/DA). I know some clusters are really easy to remove while others are just a pain.

Mother mini power ball perhaps?

builthatch
12-12-2008, 11:24 AM
If you could remove the cluster and polish it outside of the car you could make it like new again (with rotary/DA).

i agree. id def suggest removing it and attacking it that way. depending on the scratches, novus 2 and a green or gray spot buff on a PC would probably give you the results you want...or whatever polish you prefer. i've had my novus bottle forever, so i use it on plastic, but i'm sure some of my other paint specific stuff like OP would work too.

Jimmie
12-12-2008, 01:06 PM
These pads work great for tight areas. Scroll down the link that I'm going to post and you will see an adaptor for use with a drill or PC. There is also a two and three quarters inch backing plate. These combined with a plastic kit will do the job.
Spot Buffing 4 inch pads, Lake country 4 inch pads, 4 inch foam pads, 4 inch ccs pads, ccs foam pads (http://www.autogeek.net/4inch-spot-buffs.html)

Bunky
12-13-2008, 07:14 AM
I ended up just buying a new plastic lens for my cluster. It took about 5 minutes to remove and install. However, I discovered that some of the scratches are a factory original (as molded or when they wipe the parts after molding). In my vehicle the design is poor so I always have reflections in certain lights so I see scratches readily... sigh.

ScottB
12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Plastic and Plexiglass polishes can work, I use to use Novus (3 part system) and then use Plexus for upkeep.

nitro78
12-13-2008, 11:40 AM
i use the diamondnite plastic polishing kit which uses the 4 inch pads and works quite well. then dp plex all for maintainance.