PDA

View Full Version : Polish and Wax every time you wash car?

user1029
12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
<--n00b

Hi everyone, I'm planning to do an extensive detailing session with a PorterCable + Poorboy SSR1 + Gold Class Wax. I was wondering will I have to do everything again if I decide to wash the car a few weeks afterwards? Will the polish stick after a wash a few weeks later? Thanks :D

rousher99
12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
as long as you wax, the polish is underneath, and will be "protected" with gold class i would recommend re applying every 3-5 weeks.

charliehaley
12-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Do some research on proper washing and drying techniques. If you use these you shouldn't need to polish more than once, maybe twice a year. I would also look into a good quick detailer for use after washing. They can restore the shine and increase the longevity of the wax in a fraction of the time it takes to reapply wax. Also the polish doesn't remain on the paint once you are done. It removes imperfections in the paint permanently until new one are instilled from normal washing, drying, and everyday driving. I would also look into claying before any polishing to remove any embedded contaminants in the paint.

ScottB
12-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Do some research on proper washing and drying techniques. If you use these you shouldn't need to polish more than once, maybe twice a year. I would also look into a good quick detailer for use after washing. They can restore the shine and increase the longevity of the wax in a fraction of the time it takes to reapply wax. Also the polish doesn't remain on the paint once you are done. It removes imperfections in the paint permanently until new one are instilled from normal washing, drying, and everyday driving. I would also look into claying before any polishing to remove any embedded contaminants in the paint.

:goodpost:

proper technique goes along way in increasing the time between polishing session and keeps your finish at its best. Most swirls are added at washing/drying so do those correctly and youll save yourself alot of time repolishing.

Emile
12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
So when doing the whole car with something like Poorboy's SSR1 or Optimum Polish (assuming it is used properly: applied, worked in, and then buffed off, all in 2x2 sections), the product cleans, corrects, and brightens up the paint but there are no remaining oils or any residues from that product? Meaning, once done polishing, it is a completely oil and wax free surface, ready for your LSP???

This is confusing.

ScottB
12-11-2008, 07:00 PM
polishes can and do use lubricants and they can effect the use of a LSP of your choice. When using a wax most do not find the need to wipe down and remove anything after polishing, but because a sealant cures or bonds to paint most feel a wipe down is in order to remove any leftover oils, solvents, lubrication and chemical makeup of the polish.