PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Paint Disaster!!

Pages : [1] 2

BostonStang
08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I took my Mustang in to a shadetree body and paint guy to get a couple scratches and a nasty dent in the right rear wheel well taken out. This guy only wanted about half what the body shops in town wanted and I figured even if it less than perfect how bad can it be.

Well, I picked it up today -he had had the car for a few days and he told me to wash and wax the right rear panel as soon as I could. The paint looked pretty good when I picked it up no issues with the match and I told him not to worry about any over spray as I would buff it up with the PC this weekend -in a hurry to get my ride back.

I took it home and washed it with Megs auto wash and waxed with Natty's Blue and now the paint looks like total crap and has taken on a reddish hue. Doesn't even look close. I am taking it back tomorrow because he missed a couple scratches and I already talked to him about that. But, I want you guys to look at these pics and let me know what you think happened to the paint so I am informed when I talk to him. I really don't think this guy is out to rip me off he seem very earnest about doing the best job he could.

Please help me.

I will try to post pics if anyone can tell me how to modify them to fit the size limit. Sorry, new to the digital camera thing.

DS Detailer
08-14-2006, 09:06 PM
You're supposed to wait atleast 30 days after body work before you wax. Paint needs cure time, unless it's baked, which i doubt it was.

BostonStang
08-14-2006, 09:11 PM
It wasn't baked. Is there a way to fix this with polish or buffing or do I need to get this guy to redo it. I don't know why he would have told me to wash and Wax ASAP -if it could hurt the paint.

dengood1
08-14-2006, 10:10 PM
you can resize your pics to 640x480 with any picture viewer/editor, or you can download a picture resizer:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

abrcrombe
08-14-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.geocities.com/abrcrombenmitch/pic1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/abrcrombenmitch/pic2.JPG

Here are the pics!

sparkie
08-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Man that looks bad. Take it back!

DS Detailer
08-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah. I bet you waxed into the CC.

BostonStang
08-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Its going back tomorrow. This guy really did do a good job and he has been doing body work for a long time -so I can't imagine why he would tell me to take it home and wax the car asap. I also told him my plans to for the weekend total PC job wax polish glaze and he didn't say no.

Here is what is going to make me cry. I just droped $250.00 for the PC/XMT kit and have been like a kid before Christmas waiting for that box. And now I find out I can't touch my car for 30 days.. arghhhh. I feel like Charly Brown when Lucy would yank the football away.

wytstang
08-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Why can't you do the rest of the car?

BostonStang
08-14-2006, 10:49 PM
He did a lot of little touch up work all over the car. That panel was the only major spot. But now I am afraid I will get little muddy red spots every where if I wax the car. What is your opinion?

sparkie
08-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Do not wax it.

wytstang
08-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Let it cure

BostonStang
08-14-2006, 11:22 PM
What about polish or glaze, Sparkie. I had planned to take it to a car show this week and have been busting my but and sinking some serious money into turning this car around. I just cant stand the thought of not working on it for a month.

sparkie
08-14-2006, 11:27 PM
NO NO NO Don't polish it! Don't glaze it. Take back to him.

BostonStang
08-14-2006, 11:34 PM
That is what I am going to do, Sparkie. I just didn't know if I could do anything to the car after the paint gets fixed but wash it for the next 30 days. If so, I feel like someone just took away my birthday.

Any visual cues that the paint is cured or just wait for one month?

And thanks for all your help, everyone. This is stressing me out.