PDA

View Full Version : Got a tricky one! HELLPPP!

Presidential_Detail
12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Ok, I am working on a BLACK Honda S2000. It was in rough shape when I got it, hit it with SIP/White and SIP/Orange on the hood/trunk. Car looks great, of course minus some hologramming. So I get all the way through my detail, mind you I cautiously looked at it with halogens with every panel..anyways It starts getting dark and Im almost through only to realize there are holograms still on every panel!!!

Now I have tried everything in my book and still cant seem to get the holograms out of the car! This is like the 5th or 6th black s2k I have done and havent had this problem AFTER using po85rd with black AND blue pads, nothing is working!

The process used is

SIP/White/Orange
106fa/White
po85rd/Black/Blue
STILL HOLOGRAMS!! AHH!

The wierd part about this is that these holograms were not visible until hours later, now the weather has been a bit finicky throughout the whole detail, could this be a problem? Its about 86% humidity here(in FL) and chilly outside. None of my polishes have been breaking down like normal and have been a REAL pain to wipe off no matter if I work them long or short. When I first started I was having the problem with the SIP drying up and "rolling up" and flinging off...can anyone fill me in on what I should do next?

Presidential_Detail
12-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Some images for you guys..

Before I touched the car..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/TheTwanksta94/random/test3.jpg

After SIP/106fa/po85rd(thing going down hood is a plane, not hologram)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/TheTwanksta94/random/test.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/TheTwanksta94/random/test1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/TheTwanksta94/random/test4.jpg

Now there are holograms all of a sudden! This is every panel.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/TheTwanksta94/random/test5.jpg

94LT1
12-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Can SIP create holograms or do u think that was there from a previous detail?I never noticed holograms when using WG TSR 3.0 with my pc.

Presidential_Detail
12-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Well there was holograms already in it, but anything more aggressive than a finishing polish/pad will put holograms in soft Honda paint using a rotary anyways! Unfortunately I do not have any other brand polish or a PC to finish with! Normally I can finish down perfectly with my rotary but I think the weather has really messed with my polishes this time.

Time to pick up some 3m Uk polishes!

6LS2
12-07-2008, 10:58 AM
If it's cold try putting the bottle of polish in some warm water for a while.. but I doubt that's got anything to do with your holograms.

Paint prep will play a big part in the polishing process, did you prep it properly?

I'm guessing your using a Rotary, what pads are you using? How are you working in the 106 and the 85?

Presidential_Detail
12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
If it's cold try putting the bottle of polish in some warm water for a while.. but I doubt that's got anything to do with your holograms.

Paint prep will play a big part in the polishing process, did you prep it properly?

I'm guessing your using a Rotary, what pads are you using? How are you working in the 106 and the 85?

The car has been prepped properly, like I said Ive never had this problem before. I am using a rotary. I am using LC FLAT 5.5" pads, Orange/white/black/blue CCS.

My process..
2-4 pea sized dots on pad.
Put pad on surface and spread at 1k rpms.
Then bump to 1500-1200-1000 for a few passes each.

I have tried other methods also, just to give it shot. I tried doing 1000-1200-1000 and still no luck..

mixxer
12-07-2008, 12:02 PM
i posted on other site

Presidential_Detail
12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
i posted on other site

Thanks, I am just going to order some 3m Ultrafina. Anyone have any insight whether the US and UK lines are any different??

charliehaley
12-07-2008, 05:53 PM
If you have a dual action you might try using it as it shouldnt leave and holograms and will be plenty powerful to remove them.

nrengle
12-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Weird man. I have the NHBP paint, and it's super soft, and PO85RD took care of the holograms just fine with only a blue pad. I did my WF TSR with a black pad actually, so possible you maybe went too aggressive? I don't know...

mixxer
12-07-2008, 09:00 PM
sometimes they show up after the oils dry up. From what i understand the us and uk version are the same.

Presidential_Detail
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Weird man. I have the NHBP paint, and it's super soft, and PO85RD took care of the holograms just fine with only a blue pad. I did my WF TSR with a black pad actually, so possible you maybe went too aggressive? I don't know...

I dont think SIP/white is too aggressive. It is weird though, because I have done a ton of hondas already and about 5 or 6 black s2000's to be exact! haha! Never had this problem on any of the others..my guess is the weather is doing it.

nrengle
12-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Could be. Also could be a repaint. My car was repainted in a few spots, thanks to a idiot truck driver, and the clear in those areas is softer than the normal super soft clear of a Honda. So it took some kid gloves, and I only worked the polish at 1200 rpm. Seemed to do the truck. Good luck to you!

Chris Thomas
12-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Sometimes polishing oils look like holograms on my stuff. I usually just hit it with an AIO like Poliseal or do a IPA. If they are in fact holograms that someone else induced, you may have to take more clear off. I had to do that on a Volvo recently. looked like the dealer detailer used wool and no polish at all.

Presidential_Detail
12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I think it may have been a paint issue, I am polishing an RX-8 today with the same polish and pad and having no issues whatsoever(so far :cross fingers: ) Either way, I have UK UF and UK 3m pads on the way! ;)