PDA

View Full Version : FLex backing plate

94LT1
12-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I did a quick search but couldnt find out if Flex fixed there issue with there backing plate on there DA yet.so i was just curious if they have.im thinking of possibly upgrading in the spring.

wytstang
12-04-2008, 12:40 AM
From what I know nothing has changed, I haven't seen any threads lately about BP rash from folks. Seems to have stopped. I think people weren't checking there backing plates when they received them to make sure everything was nice and tight. I can assure you you need to check as mine that I just received today was loose. Depending on weather I hope to give it a go this weekend.
Oh yeah they (Flex) recommend lubing up the felt ring (need to remove BP) before first use with a "light" oil. I'm going to use some 5w20 I have.

loudog2
12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I used a lithium grease on mine. It doesn't saturate the felt. So no chance of slinging oil. Plus, the lithium is more resistant to heat.

ScottB
12-04-2008, 06:52 PM
mine went bad, but seems like only a small number are affected. I got a replacement free and quick and no problems since.

SSTG
12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
What goes bad on them?

VISITOR
12-04-2008, 09:47 PM
the overall units sold on the Flex 3401, too how many backing plates went bad is a very small minimal number (like any power tool) and i doubt there will be a "permanent fix". IIRC, the recommendation was just to make sure the felt ring was lubricated and the screw tightened down (some reported them coming loose which can cause problems). here's a good thread, and Zoran & Blkyukon explain it well...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/porter-cable-7424-buffing-pad-forum/12158-flex-problems-noooooooooooooo.html