PDA

View Full Version : Detail log

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

shortcut11
11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi everyone, first off I would like to thank everyone for all the knowledge they share. I am currently doing details for friends as a part time job. I was hoping someone on here has some kind of tracking program, I.E. customer name, vehicle, date, and what products you used, and any kind of observations that you noticed.

I appreciate the help. The wife has offered to do an excel sheet for me, but I figured if one of you guru's has something, I wouldn't reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for your time.

Wendell Jarvis
12-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone, first off I would like to thank everyone for all the knowledge they share. I am currently doing details for friends as a part time job. I was hoping someone on here has some kind of tracking program, I.E. customer name, vehicle, date, and what products you used, and any kind of observations that you noticed.

I appreciate the help. The wife has offered to do an excel sheet for me, but I figured if one of you guru's has something, I wouldn't reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for your time.

Just like your wife's idea, I use Excel, with all customers info, year,make color of car, products used, when it was last detailed with customers personal info, phone# cell# eamil address, then once a month I do a mail merge from Excel, reminding customers of specials that I may be running for that month or just a simple follow up, letting them know how much I appreciate their business.
I did try Gold Mine (customer data base management software) but rather redundent and way too much work.

Emile
12-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to keep it simple.

Use QuickBooks 2009 or Quicken or one of those small business management software suites to organize the entire business would be the next step.

I am thinking that Microsoft Access may fall somewhere in between the first and second suggestions, but it's so not user friendly it is hard to recommend.

shortcut11
12-01-2008, 07:26 AM
thanks, It looks like excel is the easiest route. Thanks everyone.

TMD
12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Hey Shortcutt,

We use an I-Pod Touch. Every detail we do, every customer, any comments, and customer info. is logged into this thing, and the best part is it's with us everywhere we go. If a customer has a question, we often reference it. I highly recommend one of these things, especially for our line of work.

Chris

Emile
12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
TMD, what program(s) are you using in the iPod Touch to log all this information?

TMD
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey Emile,

We have the standard I-Pod touch, but we utilize everything available on it. We map our customers, input the date and times into the calendar, and stuff as much info. into their contact space that we can. In contacts, we add the dates of service and what was done, and below that in the notes section we input anything relevant to a particular detail.

The beauty of it is when we charge it, it syncs with our computer. Not only is all of that information in two places in case I lose the I-Pod, but when we do mailers we're just a couple clicks from a good looking envelope.

From what I've looked into, this is the cream of the crop for this line of work.

lgtspecb
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey Shortcutt,

We use an I-Pod Touch. Every detail we do, every customer, any comments, and customer info. is logged into this thing, and the best part is it's with us everywhere we go. If a customer has a question, we often reference it. I highly recommend one of these things, especially for our line of work.

ChrisGod i sure hope your joking. iPhones and iPods cure all the worlds problems! Insert sarcasm.

If you guys need a simple db to keep track of customers, upload photos, and set reminders or something I would be happy to set it up for free. I dont see excel as really being up to the task and especially putting a few notes and pic in an iphone.

TMD
12-01-2008, 11:17 PM
My bad lgtpecdthysohchhcp,

I must've forgotten to add the "Ha Ha" in the first post. And dangit, I forgot again in the second post as well.

Somebody asking a question on what is used effectively by members of the forum, and my responding with what we've used effectively on a daily basis for over a year doesn't warrant a clownish remark.

lgtspecb
12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
My bad lgtpecdthysohchhcp,

I must've forgotten to add the "Ha Ha" in the first post. And dangit, I forgot again in the second post as well.

Somebody asking a question on what is used effectively by members of the forum, and my responding with what we've used effectively on a daily basis for over a year doesn't warrant a clownish remark.
iTMD, does your ipod wash the car for you too? I would label you a fanboi but you cant even spell iPod.

TMD
12-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Seriously? I'm on this site less then two weeks and name-calling already starts. I thought this was a professional forum for detailing enthusiasts to share their work and experiences along the way, not a second grade classroom. I hope there's only one of your kind on this forum.

megadeth
12-02-2008, 10:19 PM
iTMD, does your ipod wash the car for you too? I would label you a fanboi but you cant even spell iPod.
If it works for him what difference does it really make? Jesus, grow up.

D_Nyholm
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM

Relax buddy. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Did your iPod poop in your cheerios??

shortcut11
12-04-2008, 10:01 PM
well thank you for all of the reply's, I didn't quite plan on starting a battle. I like the idea of the ipod/iphone, for scheduling and quick look ups. All of the suggestions were great thanks.

lgtspecb
12-04-2008, 10:21 PM
If you think that pos will do you, then go for it, but my offer still stands. It's like using a glaze by hand for a job requiring heavy compound and a high speed.