PDA

View Full Version : Langka The Blob Eliminator on bug etching?

Kris R
11-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I noticed they have a method of repairing clear coat as well. Do you think this would work on clear coats that have been etched by bugs???

Rsurfer
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
You might be better off wet sanding. Have you tried to polish it out?

Kris R
11-30-2008, 07:10 AM
i really need to get my old digital cam out with me on my next detail...

I dont own a rotary. Im curious to see if it will work on bugs...Im going to try wet sanding on my own vehicle first...

Chris27182
11-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I dont think it will have any effect on bug etching. The product works with touch up paint. It allows you to smooth out the blob you get when you apply touch up paint; making the touch up paint flush with the surrounding paint for a better looking repair. I would wet sand as well.

Kris R
11-30-2008, 03:52 PM
do you think wet sanding would help bug etching though? I mean it is tiny holes in the clear coat...would wet sanding diminish the appearance of them?

OCDetails
11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I dont think it will have any effect on bug etching. The product works with touch up paint. It allows you to smooth out the blob you get when you apply touch up paint; making the touch up paint flush with the surrounding paint for a better looking repair. I would wet sand as well.

Exactly. It isn't a color polish or anything like that. It is some sort of paint solvent that allows you to shave off the top of a blob of paint and leave some filling a chip or scratch. If you have clear coat damage that cannot be polished out then all you can really do is wetsand it. Will it diminish the shine? Of course it will. You are sanding it away. Sometimes you have damage where it is necessary to repaint in order to restore it to the original shine. Pictures would be helpful in this case to know for sure what you should do, but if machine polishing doesn't work, and hand polishing doesn't work, then wetsanding may be the only option left. But again, pictures would be more useful. They need to be clear pictures, so if they are blurry and don't show the damage well then posting them won't help. Sometimes photographing this kind of damage is tricky, so my recomendation is to take them at an angle where the paint isn't reflecting anything. Sometimes the camera will focus on the reflections and not the damage.