PDA

View Full Version : Mix and match waxes and QD's?

Pages : [1] 2

Emile
11-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I like to have a couple of different polishes and waxes because it gives me options, based on weather conditions, the look I want, durability, etc. I am sure that most of you are the same.

Unfortunately, many of the products out there have their own Quick Detailers to refresh the shine and extend the durability. Do you all purchase the quick detailer which goes with the specific wax, or do you use only a couple of different quick detailers for a bunch of different wax and polish products?

Personally, I was thinking of ordering like a gallon of Poorboy's QD+ since it's a combination of carnauba wax and polymers, which is the type of formula for my paste waxes and would probably be very compatible.

What do you guys do, and in your experiences, what would you guys recommend doing?

Thanks,
Emile

elk42
11-27-2008, 09:07 AM
:righton:megs gold class wash, p21s wax, megs ultimate quick detailer for my Bimmer. looks great!

94LT1
11-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Well iv only tried PB QD+ and i love it as well.i actually use it with my clay bar and cleans up the paint nice and leaves it smooth as glass.Lol i dunno if i should be useing it as clay lube but it works out.

ScottB
11-27-2008, 10:25 AM
most if not all quick detailers and spray products are compatible with each others LSP's. Some look better or add more gloss than others but thats about it.

Tread carefully with qd+ from Poorboys, it streaks badly if used on damp paint and must be used quite sparingly. It does need some additional buffing.

loudog2
11-27-2008, 11:57 AM
killr, just out of curiosity. What's with all the hype over fk425? The website even shows that durability and cleaning properties are very low. I wouldn't want a QD that might mar my ride.

94LT1
11-27-2008, 12:08 PM
most if not all quick detailers and spray products are compatible with each others LSP's. Some look better or add more gloss than others but thats about it.

Tread carefully with qd+ from Poorboys, it streaks badly if used on damp paint and must be used quite sparingly. It does need some additional buffing.
What is your opinion on useing it as clay lube??it seems to work fine for me just leaves some spots here and there but i just rewash normally anyways.

lgtspecb
11-27-2008, 02:00 PM
As killer says, most qd's are going to work with any lsp, but make sure your using the right product for the job. some are only cleaners, some are cleaners and waxes, some are just waxes.

For cleaning, the megs qd or optimum onr are great, they also makes great clay lubes. The dg fast clean & shine is ok for door jams or what not, but it has very VERY little cleaning power (it is very slick however). The optimum instant detailer & gloss enhancer, has a lot of lubrication, good cleaning power and leaves a nice slick gloss. It is my current favorite. Meg's Ultimate QD would come in second here.

Then there are spray waxes like AW, and opti-seal, which are only meant as a top coat to freshen the lsp between waxing. They are all pretty similar, but you might want to stick with the same brand as your wax.

I use optimum instant detailer after every wash whether it is onr or traditional. It helps the drying process, ensures there will be no water spotting and leaves a great gloss and slickness.

Your best bet is to get a bottle of optimum onr, mix one bottle for qd and one for clay lube (much cheaper than buying qd otc for claying). Use that for your quick detailing and claying. And get a bottle of optimum instant detailer to use to add gloss after washing and for the door jams. One bottle of each will last you a over a year.

lgtspecb
11-27-2008, 02:03 PM
What is your opinion on useing it as clay lube??it seems to work fine for me just leaves some spots here and there but i just rewash normally anyways.
You don't need a qd with polymers for claying. The lubrication and protection may actually get in the way preventing the clay to do its job effectively. As my posting above says, get a bottle on onr and mix it for clay lube it is very cheap and very effective. Save the more expensive QD+ for glossing the car after washing.

94LT1
11-27-2008, 02:18 PM
You don't need a qd with polymers for claying. The lubrication and protection may actually get in the way preventing the clay to do its job effectively. As my posting above says, get a bottle on onr and mix it for clay lube it is very cheap and very effective. Save the more expensive QD+ for glossing the car after washing.
i dont have the shelve space for any more products.so i have to buy clay lube then??

Emile
11-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Thank you all for the posts.

I have Meg's QD and Meg's Ultimate QD, and I really like the regular QD for most waxes and I polishes that I use, but I also like the Zaino Z-6 QD.

I'm always hesitant to use Meg's Ultimate QD because it's more like a spray wax/sealant than a quick detailer. Supposedly a full wipe-down with Meg's Ultimate QD will provide several weeks of protection on its own.

94LT1, I usually use Meguiar's Quik Detailer as my clay lube. It's cool because Meg's QD can be used as a quick detailer and as a clay lubricant for claying your vehicle, according to Meguiar's.

94LT1
11-27-2008, 02:36 PM
94LT1, I usually use Meguiar's Quik Detailer as my clay lube. It's cool because Meg's QD can be used as a quick detailer and as a clay lubricant for claying your vehicle, according to Meguiar's.
Ya thats wat i used 2 do thats y i figured any other quick detailer would work but i guess i was wrong.lol

lgtspecb
11-27-2008, 03:27 PM
i dont have the shelve space for any more products.so i have to buy clay lube then??
I too am very low on space, so i keep my onr in the guest bathroom. I go in there to fill up my wash buckets when i onr anyways. You only need to make one spray bottle if you want since you can use the qd ratio of onr as lube also. It's just more product than you need and I would recommend washing or atleast hosing off the car when you finish claying so the lower dillution onr doesn't dry on the paint.

It is a great product to have around, it can be used as a rinseless wash, quick detailer, clay lube, and wash additive at different dillutions and is very light on the pocket book. I hear is can also be used for interior cleaning/quick detailing, but i dont know what ratios or if it is safe on electronics.

Emile
11-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, but I think the main issue is whether one QD can be used for all waxes. For example, while I have no problem using Meg's QD to restore the gloss of Natty's Paste Wax, I do have a problem using it with Wolfgang Fuzion. At the same time, I'm not about to spend $20 on the Wolfgang Quick Detailer, or to buy the specific QD for each specific wax - not saying it's not worth it - just saying it's too much much on my wallet and my shelf space.

It seems that a couple of QD's are the way to go....anybody have any other suggestions for a quality quick detailer that won't break the bank?

lgtspecb
11-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but I think the main issue is whether one QD can be used for all waxes. For example, while I have no problem using Meg's QD to restore the gloss of Natty's Paste Wax, I do have a problem using it with Wolfgang Fuzion. At the same time, I'm not about to spend $20 on the Wolfgang Quick Detailer, or to buy the specific QD for each specific wax - not saying it's not worth it - just saying it's too much much on my wallet and my shelf space.

It seems that a couple of QD's are the way to go....anybody have any other suggestions for a quality quick detailer that won't break the bank?
Your going to get tired of hearing me say this, but onr when you need a quick detailer with cleaning ability. If its safe and effective to wash an entire car with higher dilution, it's obviously going to work well for quick detailing and spot cleaning. Meg's is another viable (albeit more expensive) all purpose quick detailer. The lubricants in onr make it much safer than megs.

For restoring the gloss of your lsp, your probably going to be best with the same companys gloss enhancer but I have used optimum instant detailer on top of xmt 180, wolfgangs and poli-seal. With a little buffing there is no streaking or adverse effects with any of those 3.

Rsurfer
11-27-2008, 05:28 PM
As killer says, most qd's are going to work with any lsp, but make sure your using the right product for the job. some are only cleaners, some are cleaners and waxes, some are just waxes.

For cleaning, the megs qd or optimum onr are great, they also makes great clay lubes. The dg fast clean & shine is ok for door jams or what not, but it has very VERY little cleaning power (it is very slick however). The optimum instant detailer & gloss enhancer, has a lot of lubrication, good cleaning power and leaves a nice slick gloss. It is my current favorite. Meg's Ultimate QD would come in second here.

Then there are spray waxes like AW, and opti-seal, which are only meant as a top coat to freshen the lsp between waxing. They are all pretty similar, but you might want to stick with the same brand as your wax.

I use optimum instant detailer after every wash whether it is onr or traditional. It helps the drying process, ensures there will be no water spotting and leaves a great gloss and slickness.

Your best bet is to get a bottle of optimum onr, mix one bottle for qd and one for clay lube (much cheaper than buying qd otc for claying). Use that for your quick detailing and claying. And get a bottle of optimum instant detailer to use to add gloss after washing and for the door jams. One bottle of each will last you a over a year.
OS is not a spray wax its a sealant. It is also a LSP if wanted.