PDA

View Full Version : Backing plate melting?

Pages : [1] 2

dengood1
08-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Has anyone ever experienced a backing plate, or the velcro on it, melting in the center of the plate? I was detailing an Expedition today and when I went to apply more polish I noticed the pad was indented in the middle, kind of "sucked in" a little. I tried to pull the pad off and it was melted to the center of the backing plate! Sure, the PC gets hot when running at 6, but didn't think it would generate enough heat on the center shaft to melt the backing plate hook and loops! Has this happened to anyone else? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

joe.p
08-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Has anyone ever experienced a backing plate, or the velcro on it, melting in the center of the plate? I was detailing an Expedition today and when I went to apply more polish I noticed the pad was indented in the middle, kind of "sucked in" a little. I tried to pull the pad off and it was melted to the center of the backing plate! Sure, the PC gets hot when running at 6, but didn't think it would generate enough heat on the center shaft to melt the backing plate hook and loops! Has this happened to anyone else? Your thoughts?

Thanks!DG where you applying a lot of pressure or in one spot too long,I have had the velcro on the pads fail before but never seen a BP melt,sorry i couldn't help. someone from AG may have the answer dunno..

Neothin
08-13-2006, 11:19 PM
happens to me ALOT. occurs more often with small 4" pads, but i have melted a large backing plate before. If you continued to polish, it would've eventually had the yellow foam part melt and the whole backing plate would've ripped itself in half. happened to me many times. I can't figure out how to fix it besides turn the speed down, but you have to use speed 6 to polish, so im in a catch 22.

call jason in the morning and tell him that your having the same problem with the backing plate that i have. He'll help you out.

dengood1
08-14-2006, 05:11 AM
happens to me ALOT. occurs more often with small 4" pads, but i have melted a large backing plate before. If you continued to polish, it would've eventually had the yellow foam part melt and the whole backing plate would've ripped itself in half. happened to me many times. I can't figure out how to fix it besides turn the speed down, but you have to use speed 6 to polish, so im in a catch 22.

call jason in the morning and tell him that your having the same problem with the backing plate that i have. He'll help you out.

Does it happen less often using the larger pads and backing plate? I was using the low profile orange pad and I was doing a large vehicle.

Meghan
08-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks!
Dennis call Jason at his ext. (208) he will take care of you.

Surfer
08-14-2006, 08:03 AM
I know this has happened to quite a few hook and loop owners. My friend had his actually seperate at speed 5 and fly off. He has the Edge pads and his hook and loops just sit there now. I can do our suv's one after another at full tile (speed 6) and my Edge pads hold up fine. The shaft gets hot but the plastic inner seems to disipitate the heat.

SpoiledMan
08-14-2006, 08:46 AM
I can't figure out how to fix it besides turn the speed down, but you have to use speed 6 to polish, so im in a catch 22.

Sounds like you're using the wrong tool for the job. If you have to crank the PC up to a point that it's destroying BP's then it's time to pull out the rotary.

Surfer
08-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Sounds like you're using the wrong tool for the job. If you have to crank the PC up to a point that it's destroying BP's then it's time to pull out the rotary.Except the PC can't do any real work with a polish or compound unless at speeds 5-6. I have Optimum Compound and Polish and they require speed 6 for a good break down and finishing up (but I have the Edge pads as well so...). Otherwise speed 3-4 I'll sit there all day with OC or OP with nothing happening.

SpoiledMan
08-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Except the PC can't do any real work with a polish or compound unless at speeds 5-6. I have Optimum Compound and Polish and they require speed 6 for a good break down and finishing up (but I have the Edge pads as well so...). Otherwise speed 3-4 I'll sit there all day with OC or OP with nothing happening.

That's why it's time to step up to something more powerful. In more than 2 years, I've only killed one BP on my PC and it wasn't melted or distorted at all but simply lost it's "grip."

Rapidity
08-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Except the PC can't do any real work with a polish or compound unless at speeds 5-6. I have Optimum Compound and Polish and they require speed 6 for a good break down and finishing up (but I have the Edge pads as well so...). Otherwise speed 3-4 I'll sit there all day with OC or OP with nothing happening.

Here is what your edge pad will look like if it self destructs. Jason has already replaced this for me... This is just to counter surfer's point that the edge pads are without reproach.

GearHead_1
08-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Sounds like you're using the wrong tool for the job. If you have to crank the PC up to a point that it's destroying BP's then it's time to pull out the rotary.
I have to agree with this statement. I seldom run my PC at speed 6, I don't use Megs Burgandy cutting pads on the PC anymore. I run at speed 5 quite often but I've had a backing plate melt and I've had pads come apart. I haven't had a problem with Edge pads and have used the heck out of them but they don't see 6. If I feel like it needs this kind of attention I get the rotary out.

Surfer
08-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Here is what your edge pad will look like if it self destructs. Jason has already replaced this for me... This is just to counter surfer's point that the edge pads are without reproach.I think I saw your post on Detailcity. Not saying the Edges are undestructable, but I've used mine on our 3 suvs and 2 cars, and even using my orange and green cutting pad with Optimum Compound and pressure the pads looks fine. I'm very hard on them. I've even caught a few on certain edges, my 4" orange pad Aaron made me is showing a little wear around the center but I used the hell out of it on certain spots and on all our glass with both AIO and DP glass restorer, whats weird is the 4" orange doesn't seem as stiff as the 6" ones.

I have to use speed 5 then finish up with 6 with OC and OP or I get some slight marring since those products take longer to break down and can be worked and worked. Unlike others that break down almost immedietley. I

Rapidity
08-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Well hopefully I just got a bad batch or something. I used my blue pad this weekend without any issue. I guess I'm just not as confident since my first time out with them went badly. The reason I went with edge pads over LC is because of people like Surfer who have had great success with them.

Surfer
08-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Well hopefully I just got a bad batch or something. I used my blue pad this weekend without any issue. I guess I'm just not as confident since my first time out with them went badly. The reason I went with edge pads over LC is because of people like Surfer who have had great success with them.My buddy who only used hook and loop before is the one who turned me on to them. He won't even bother with all the other pads he has laying around now, gave most to a buddy of his. Did you catch something?, that's an awfully large chunk missing. I've caught certain edges on our vehicles with no tears, sometimes just a litte mark, pretty impressed as one time the damn pc almost shot out of my hand.

dengood1
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
My buddy who only used hook and loop before is the one who turned me on to them. He won't even bother with all the other pads he has laying around now, gave most to a buddy of his. Did you catch something?, that's an awfully large chunk missing. I've caught certain edges on our vehicles with no tears, sometimes just a litte mark, pretty impressed as one time the damn pc almost shot out of my hand.

I had one that was wet fly off and rack me:eek: when I tried to dry it by spinning it on 6:o THAT my friends, was a bad day.