PDA

View Full Version : Swirl and scratch removal

suedegreenultra
11-25-2008, 09:46 PM
I want to remove scratches and swirls in the clear coat on my Harley bagger. Was wondering if hand rubbing with Menzerna power finish would do the trick or do I need to get an electric buffer? Thanks

RaskyR1
11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I want to remove scratches and swirls in the clear coat on my Harley bagger. Was wondering if hand rubbing with Menzerna power finish would do the trick or do I need to get an electric buffer? Thanks

It's always best to start with the least aggressive polish/compound needed to do the job.

What do you have for products now?

suedegreenultra
11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I have 3m Perfect It #2 and I think that is too aggressive. I had to repair a bag and it left a halo on the edges but then again I did not use the correct equipment. Before I purchase the Porter Cable 7424 polisher I wanted to see how effective hand buffing/polishing is? Thanks

drastic_detail
11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Trust me, Ive tried and tried again to remove swrils by hand...its just not possable. Get the PC!

RaskyR1
11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I have 3m Perfect It #2 and I think that is too aggressive. I had to repair a bag and it left a halo on the edges but then again I did not use the correct equipment. Before I purchase the Porter Cable 7424 polisher I wanted to see how effective hand buffing/polishing is? Thanks

I've not used Power Finish before and most my experience with Menz is with their Nano and P085. 3M perfect-it II should be followed up with a lesser polish. I have removed 1500 grit sanding marks by hand with the 3M stuff. Meguiars M105 would be another good option by hand. It's very effective and finishes out very nice. Power finish has a decent amount of cut and will likely remove your swirls, I'm just not sure about the RIDS. You could always hit them with the 3M stuff first and follow with the power finish.

Working by hand is time consuming, but if it's a small area it won't be too bad :)

I'm sure some others will chime in on the power finish. :cheers:

suedegreenultra
11-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Thank you much! We are talking small areas and even a small polisher will be hard to work those areas.

Pyrocite
11-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Have you tried Mothers PowerBall? It should work wonders in tight places.

suedegreenultra
11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
No, I'll take a look at it. Thanks

Pyrocite
11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
No, I'll take a look at it. Thanks

Mothers makes PowerBall, Mini PowerBall, PowerBall for metals and I think i seen a cone, most auto parts stores carry those.

Pyrocite
12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Any news on the bike?

Wendell Jarvis
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Trust me, Ive tried and tried again to remove swrils by hand...its just not possable. Get the PC!
:whs:

suedegreenultra
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes in fact. I was looking for a product that I could remove swirls and scratches in the clear coat on my bike. Meguiars is releasing a product in mid-January called SwirlX, specifically for the application I was looking for. If that doesn't work then I will go the next step. Thanks

RaskyR1
12-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes in fact. I was looking for a product that I could remove swirls and scratches in the clear coat on my bike. Meguiars is releasing a product in mid-January called SwirlX, specifically for the application I was looking for. If that doesn't work then I will go the next step. Thanks

From the reviews I've read that should wrok very well for you. :righton:

You may want to pick up some of the Ultimate compound too for the deeper scratches (RIDS)

Threads for the peeps who haven't heard about them...

SwirlX - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335)

Ultimate Compound - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28334)

Agressiveness chart
Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28407)

Hades02
04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Bringing this thread back. A buddy of mine paints and air brushes
bikes for a living. I have seen him buff out some pretty deep
scratches. He uses 3M Perfect-it II and 3M Finesse-it II.
He uses an air DA with 2 inch pads. Leaves the paint flawless.
I just bought a Flex and will be using that for mine. I take my
tanks and fenders off all the time so I can get to every area
of the paint.

Dsoto87
04-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Though I have no experience with menzerna, I know powergloss is a heavy cut compound, and I know the pc has a tough time breaking it down. So knowing that, I wouldn't even attempt trying powergloss by hand. Way too much trouble by hand.

Meguiars new products with SMAT technology all work excellent by hand.

Some otc stuff that contains it is ultimate compound, swirlx, or scratch x 2.0. I would try these first before I used powergloss by hand. If the ultimate compound doesn't take it out than more than likely you will need a machine