PDA

View Full Version : Taking the PC Plunge -couple questions

Pages : [1] 2

BostonStang
08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Been lurking for a month or so and learned a ton -thanks for this great site.

I drive a black 00 Mustang GT Convertible. Its isn't in bad shape at all for a daily driver with 40K miles -but it was the first new car I ever owned and the first black car. So you can imagine there is some serious swirling in the paint . Mostly from not knowing how to care for a black car. I had tried most major swirl removers by hand and paid a detailer and nothing worked. I has resigned myselft to my car looking like crap in bright sun until I found this web sight. So, Thank You!!

Yesterday, I ordered the PC/XMT Itermediate swirl kit. In addition to that kit, I have Nattys Blue, PB Blue Polish and PB Sealant at home.

I know the XMT 3 goes on first followed by XMT 1. But after that I am a little confused as to order or application between what is in the kit and what I have at home. And what pads or bonnets should be used after the swirl removers? Do you guys use the PC for glazes, sealants and wax or do it by hand?

Thanks for your help

Reddwarf
08-13-2006, 01:31 PM
You didn't mention wash and clay. What are you doing/ using for those steps?

ScottB
08-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I would use the XMT twins (3 and 1) and then use the Poorboys Sealant. After 12-24 hours to cure you can top with the Nattys as wanted. Just remember with the PC to take it slow and steady and dont stop to soon, allowing the polish and PC to do its work (machine on high).

Kelso
08-13-2006, 02:31 PM
i seal and wax by hand generally. i just find it easier that way with the products i use on my car ( PB EX-P and souveran)

FloridaNative
08-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I agree with Killr and would only add to his comments this thread to give you some assistance with pad selection. Again make sure to give the polish ample time to do it's work taking at least 5 minutes for the polish to break down. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1485
As far as glazes I think with the exception of Meguiar's #7 you should apply them with the PC. As for the sealants and waxes, I would apply them by hand as you use less product this way and you can have some time bonding with your car. :) I hope this helps you. Please post some pics of your work if you can. I know I am not alone in wanting to see the turn around. :) Take care.

BostonStang
08-13-2006, 02:41 PM
You didn't mention wash and clay. What are you doing/ using for those steps?
I just clayed about a month ago and wasn't really planning on doing it again. If it is important then I have some Mothers left. As for wash I use Megs Deep Crystal.

Should the XMT Glaze go on before the sealant or after I am done with everything?

Is there any difference in the shine I will get waxing and buffing by hand versus the PC?

I am going to pick the car up in about an hour -took it in for some air brush work. I will try to post some before pics tonight.

kellyinkc
08-13-2006, 02:42 PM
:iagree:
I like to use the PC for polish then wax by hand. I seem to get a "feel" for the paint that way. I then remove with PC.

FloridaNative
08-13-2006, 03:05 PM
The XMT finishing glaze has carnauba in it. You probably shouldn't use it if you are going to apply a sealant afterwards. Sealants have bonding trouble if you apply it on top of oils or waxes.

If I were you I would finish with the XMT1 and then go to your EX-P and then after the cure time apply your Natty's or if you want to use the XMT Carnauba glaze then you would just apply your Natty's afterwards skipping the sealant step.

BostonStang
08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks, FloridaNative. I am going to take it to a local car show on Saturday (Please AG let my package get here by Friday). For a show car look should I go with EX-P and Natty's or Nattys followed with XMT Glaze?

wytstang
08-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Negative EX-P top with Nattys no glaze or glaze then top with Nattys. Rule of thumb is when using a glaze most sealants have trouble bonding to the paint due to the oils in glazes.

wytstang
08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Glaze always goes first.....

dinkydow
08-13-2006, 07:17 PM
I got a little confused there. In what instance would glaze be recommended?? If one has AIO, and then their sealant and then top of with Souveran or p21s, why or when would you bother with glaze? What reason is glaze meant for? Thank You!

ScottB
08-13-2006, 08:03 PM
I got a little confused there. In what instance would glaze be recommended?? If one has AIO, and then their sealant and then top of with Souveran or p21s, why or when would you bother with glaze? What reason is glaze meant for? Thank You!

You are correct in the assumptions above. Using the glaze before AIO would just be wasted as AIO would strip it. Using it before the Klasse SG would create compatibility and durability issues. Using it after SG is completely unneccessary before a wax.

The only instance where a glaze is offered, is between polishing and a carnauba wax. The XMT glaze has some light polishing attributes and carnauba protection so keep it away from sealants.

BostonStang
08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the XMT Glaze followed by Natty's Blue. I don't have a lot of time to get the car ready and wont have time to wait for a sealant to cure.

Here is the other thing I am wondering about after reading your advice, is the PC mostly just for swirl removal? The consensus seem to be to wax and glaze and buff by hand. I assumed that you would use the PC for buffing, at least, to get a better shine. What are the grey pads and cobra bonnets for?

And what is meant by J ewling?

Juztang
08-13-2006, 09:32 PM
The grey pad can be used for glazes,wax, or sealants. I prefer to put these all on by hand.