PDA

View Full Version : Tire Shine

Pages : [1] 2

94LT1
11-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Im thinking of getting away from the tire shine that has solvents and slings everywere.What products should i look into that dont have solvents in them and dont sling onto the car?

ScottB
11-23-2008, 08:28 AM
If you like high gloss, then consider the water based dressing from Poorboys called Bright and Bold. If you like a matte clean look without gloss, then Optimum.

Reddwarf
11-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm a big fan of Pinnacle Black Onyx, but then I have not tried the two Killrwheels suggested.

94LT1
11-23-2008, 11:19 AM
If you like high gloss, then consider the water based dressing from Poorboys called Bright and Bold. If you like a matte clean look without gloss, then Optimum.
ok i was right.I was sure if there was a such thing as a water base tire dressing so i didnt want to sound stupid and ask that question.Ok i think im going to want to try the Poorboys Bright and Bold.thanks killrwheels

robb01
11-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I like using armor all, its water based and while it doesnt last too long, it leaves a great finish

StephenK
11-23-2008, 12:12 PM
i just used surf city garage beyond black last night. it is water based and was about 25 degrees in the garage and sat outside all night

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/detailgod/DSC01116.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/detailgod/DSC01117.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa122/detailgod/DSC01115.jpg

AUdakota
11-23-2008, 01:07 PM
i think the DP tire gel is really nice, as long as you dont load it on it doesnt sling.

ss-truck
11-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Detailgod that is about the appearence I am looking for on my tires . How long does that one last ? . My show car I want the matte finish to look original but street car a little more bling .

StephenK
11-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Detailgod that is about the appearence I am looking for on my tires . How long does that one last ? . My show car I want the matte finish to look original but street car a little more bling .

never paid attention to how long it last cause the other tires i have tried it on did not have smooth sidewalls and it would get caught up in the little grooves so i always wiped it off and put something else on. i will try to remember to keep track of how long it last this time. will keep you updated with pictures of the wear

StephenK
11-23-2008, 01:56 PM
I like using armor all, its water based and while it doesnt last too long, it leaves a great finish

i will have to check but last i knew armor all was silcone based

Surfer
11-23-2008, 02:40 PM
i will have to check but last i knew armor all was silcone basedThey switched to a waterbase, except for the gel I beleive. I still have AA Extreme and love it. But its tricky as when you qst apply thinnly it looks really matte, then a few minutes later it sets in pretty glossy, so gotta make sure you do a nice thin coat or it will be too much.

PB Bold and Bright etc are all water based. In South FL I stick with the gels, get a good 2-3 weeks, and dirt wipes right off in a wash, and water beads off in rain etc so it maintains its look. The waterbase ones are gone the second water hits them.

lgtspecb
11-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I have been using optimum (water based) on my car for about 3 months, in the summer I loved the look and durability and there was no sling. I use onr and I only clean the tires when I am ready to reapply the dressing (about every month) and it would last that long. Now with the rainy season I am seeing that I am lucky if it lasts a week. It doesn't apply easily to tires with a lot of writing on the sidewall (like the re-92's on the impreza). I will probably go back to using the megs tire shine for the winter since it had great durability in the wet and is alot easier to apply. A benefit to the optimum, is that it also works great on the interior. It has moved my 303 to the trash products.

ScottB
11-23-2008, 06:50 PM
i will have to check but last i knew armor all was silcone based

they changed most formulas a little while back, they even proudly display it on some materials.

wytstang
11-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm a big fan of Pinnacle Black Onyx, but then I have not tried the two Killrwheels suggested.
And I enjoy Pinn. counter part WG Black Diamond tire gel. I'm sure they are the same if not close enough. Grab which ever is on sale.........WG :cool:

rousher99
11-23-2008, 11:35 PM
i have only had problems with water based tire dressings slinging, i always have great results with the Meguiars hot shine i use. just wait a few minutes after application and wipe well with a microfiber towel.