PDA

View Full Version : burn my paint?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jad3N
11-20-2008, 11:35 AM
i'm torn between buying a pc and flex, i'm a very cautious person, i'll research a lot before using this machine and practice. so question is, will flex burn my paint easily? or it's more like, in between rotary and pc ?

thanks.

loudog2
11-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Anything can burn your paint, even the PC. Just don't let it sit in one spot and spin for 5 min. It is hard to burn paint with the pc or flex. Just use common sense.

Buddy
11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
i'm torn between buying a pc and flex, i'm a very cautious person, i'll research a lot before using this machine and practice. so question is, will flex burn my paint easily? or it's more like, in between rotary and pc ?

thanks.

If I have to answer the question like that. Then the flex is in between a rotory and PC. Will the flex burn your paint easily, No.

By a flex the PC will vibrate you to death and it does paint correction better and faster. That just my 2 cents...Good luck

loudog2
11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
^+1 flex is better than the PC, unless you need 4 inch pads. I debated my first time. Went with the PC, then bought the flex 2 months later. The flex will save you time, and keep the feeling in your hands.

Chris27182
11-20-2008, 05:11 PM
:iagree: I did the same thing I sold my PC for a Flex 3401. I used to paint cars on the side part time and I learned on a rotary. While the PC does work, I do not care for it. Im used to getting fast results and I could never bring myself to go at Snail-Speed with the PC to get good correction, plus the vibration it creates mehhh. I think the PC is a good tool don't get me wrong and I would recommend it to anyone cause its a good value, but if you can afford the Flex, I would say get the Flex and don't look back. The Flex is very safe and you will be getting results that are approaching a rotary with the safety of the PC.

jad3N
11-20-2008, 08:07 PM
thanks everyone! so be it... flex it is!

Cheers!

Pyrocite
11-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Good choice :) ill upgrade to flex next year :D:buffing:

RaskyR1
11-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Anything can burn your paint, even the PC. Just don't let it sit in one spot and spin for 5 min. It is hard to burn paint with the pc or flex. Just use common sense.

LOL, I'd like to see that! Im the MAN
The clutch in the unit prevents that from happening, PC's are noob proof.

It may be possible to burn the paint with the FLEX, but you would have to apply a lot of pressure in one spot for a decent amount of time. A rotary can burn through in seconds with enough pressure and RPM's applied to one spot.

You should be fine with the FLEX.

Rasky

wytstang
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I have a UDM (a small step up from the PC) and want a Flex. I'm hoping AG has a Cyber Monday or Black Friday sale, I will by one.

Chris27182
11-21-2008, 12:13 PM
I have a UDM (a small step up from the PC) and want a Flex. I'm hoping AG has a Cyber Monday or Black Friday sale, I will by one.
:iagree:

Maybe someone. (cough cough.....Meghan) has something in the works for next friday or Monday. Too bad we couldn't all just wait outside Autogeek's front door on black friday and when they open rush inside haha. Im sure that would go over well. :D

loudog2
11-21-2008, 12:42 PM
LOL, I'd like to see that! Im the MAN
The clutch in the unit prevents that from happening, PC's are noob proof.

It may be possible to burn the paint with the FLEX, but you would have to apply a lot of pressure in one spot for a decent amount of time. A rotary can burn through in seconds with enough pressure and RPM's applied to one spot.

You should be fine with the FLEX.

Rasky
Point being!! You can damage paint with anything if you use things like an idiot. Right or wrong??

Pyrocite
11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Right :o

RaskyR1
11-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Point being!! You can damage paint with anything if you use things like an idiot. Right or wrong??

Yes, that would be true. But, you can not "burn" the paint with a PC. It would be possible to rub thru over time, but the PC cannot generate the heat required to actually burn the paint. That was my only point.

loudog2
11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
toshay my friend:D

Emile
11-21-2008, 01:46 PM
I just got a Porter Cable. It's pretty user-friendly and from what I've been told, it's almost impossible to screw up your paint.

The vibrations are horrible with the Porter Cable. Watching the PC in videos makes it look smooth, but the vibrations go all the way up to my brain.