PDA

View Full Version : Could my wax be gone already?

akimel
11-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Six weeks ago I put down two coats of NXT on my car. Three weeks ago I put down two coats of Collinite 845. I washed it maybe ten days ago or so. Since then I have dusted it with my OXO duster many times and quick detailed it once with Megs' Ultimate Quick Detailer. Tonight I thought I would do another quick detail with UQD. Instead of sliding easily over the surface, my microfiber towel dragged. Adding more solution to the surface did not seem to help. I also tried Last Touch on a different section. Same problem.

Have I lost the wax?

My car is garaged every night and often much of the day. In the past three weeks I may have driven a couple of hundred miles. I do not recall it even being rained on during this period.

It seems unlikely that the Collinite has worn away in such a short time, but how does one explain the drag on the towel when I attempted to quick detail? I am confused. :confused:

I welcome your counsel. TIA.

Al

builthatch
11-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Six weeks ago I put down two coats of NXT on my car. Three weeks ago I put down two coats of Collinite 845. I washed it maybe ten days ago or so. Since then I have dusted it with my OXO duster many times and quick detailed it once with Megs' Ultimate Quick Detailer. Tonight I thought I would do another quick detail with UQD. Instead of sliding easily over the surface, my microfiber towel dragged. Adding more solution to the surface did not seem to help. I also tried Last Touch on a different section. Same problem.

Have I lost the wax?

My car is garaged every night and often much of the day. In the past three weeks I may have driven a couple of hundred miles. I do not recall it even being rained on during this period.

It seems unlikely that the Collinite has worn away in such a short time, but how does one explain the drag on the towel when I attempted to quick detail? I am confused. :confused:

I welcome your counsel. TIA.

Al

hmm, i wouldn't use the tactile feeling of megs qd and a MF towel drag to gauge it. it sounds like it's some phenomena with the qd and towel.

how does it feel if you take the back of your finger, very lightly press and drag it on the surface? you could pour some water on the surface and see how it behaves if you doubt the protection is there still...

i'm sure it's fine. i don't think nxt is known for marathon like durability, but considering you just put the collinite on so recently...i'd bet you are fine.

BTW, i dunno about the ultimate, but i can tell you that reg megs qd is solvent rich. though you aren't bathing the car in it, lol, i'd possibly look into a qd that doesn't have solvents, like the optimum stuff. it'll be alot kinder to whatever LSP you use. if you get the larger concentrate bottle, you can make boatloads of the stuff for a great price. you can even use your megs bottle for it ; )

just make sure you use high quality water to mix it!

anyway, good luck. i'm curious to hear what others say.

Emile
11-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Well it could be that since you applied the 845 on top of the NXT, the NXT wore down and took the 845 out with it?

Even still, it's common for the gloss and slickness to go away soon after the last application of wax. The protection may still very well be there and I think you should spray water on the vehicle and see how aggressively it beads or sheets water off the surface.

If you want the gloss and slickness back, just wash the vehicle and then use a quick detailer on the vehicle. Sometimes a QD without a wash will not bring the gloss and slickness back.

robb01
11-17-2008, 02:07 PM
I highly doubt that the collinite would wear off so quickly, I usually use it as my winter wax, and it holds up fine for 3+ months for me

dublifecrisis
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I've accepted recently that there's a big difference in JUST WAXED vs. PROTECTED. Just waxed: well there's just nothing like it. Paint glowing and reflecting everything in proximity vs Protected: water beads up nicely and looks good again after a wash with maybe a spray wax.

RaskyR1
11-17-2008, 02:54 PM
This is why I wax every other wash. :cheers:

ScottB
11-17-2008, 05:40 PM
what type of soap where you using weekly ?? Some can be quite strong and remove waxes quickly.

akimel
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
I've been using Turtle Ice Car Wash. I've washed the car once since I applied the Collinite.

Emile
11-17-2008, 06:00 PM
It's the Ice. Turtle Wax Ice products use the sheeting method. When you wash your car with Ice, it's supposed to refresh the existing coat of the Turtle Wax Ice Paste or Liquid Wax. If you use Ice Wash with a regular wax, it will sheet water until the temporary coating from the Ice Wash wears away.

supercharged
11-18-2008, 12:25 AM
what type of soap where you using weekly ?? Some can be quite strong and remove waxes quickly.
:iagree::whs: using Chemical Guys Citrus wash and gloss, or Megs NXT wash will remove your wax very quick.

By the way, did you clay your car before waxing? This is where a problem might be coming from...

TOGWT
11-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Collinite is a hybrid wax (i.e. it contains polymers as well as wax)

Polymers need a porous surface to bond to (they do not do well if oils / water is present) they initially adhere by surface tension and then after a period in which the solvents in the carrier system vaporize (outgas) the polymers cross-link to form a covalent (molecular) bond to the surface.

The initial bonding in this case was to NXT, once its (very) short durability is gone the Collinite bond is lost (a chain is only as strong as its weakest link)You might want to use a polymer with better durability than NXT as your 'base'

Ensure that the surface of the vehicle can be left undisturbed and free from rain and water (condensation, dew, etc) until the polymer has cross-linked (usually 1 - 24 hours) or the surface protection may be compromised