PDA

View Full Version : Is it the product used or color of paint??

Pages : [1] 2

dinkydow
08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
I had detailed my dark red car about a month ago. I had put 5 coats of Invisible glass on it, I then found this site and started to order products like my life depended on it. Anyway, I then put a coat of P21 cleaner on it followed by a coat of the P21s wax. It came out better then I have ever seen one of my cars look!! I then ordered more product and last week did the following. I have a dark grey truck. I used Klasse AIO then put 3 coats of the Klasse sealant on it. I let the sealant cure for 24 hours. I then put on a coat of the P21s wax. It looks good, real shiny but not the same look I have with the red car. I have noticed a few scratches on the red car that I want to get rid of so I bought more product. My thoughts are to start with Poor Boys 2.5 then #1` followed by AIO then use the Klasse sealant, maybe 2-3 coats and then top it off with Souveran wax.
Why do you think my car turned out better then my truck?? Do I have my ducks in a row as far as what I plan on using to redo my car?? Thank YOU!!!

GearHead_1
08-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Klasse AIO is super easy to work with. Klasse SG is a finicky product there are a lot of places to go wrong with it. Anything from too much product to too little cure time between coats.

FloridaNative
08-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Your ducks definitely look like they are lined up properly. But you are right that some paint colors look better with certain combos. That is what drives us all crazy looking for that elusive "perfect combo" for our cars. lol Add to that the differences in paint between vehicle makes/models plus the qualities the paint has (metallic, pearl, etc) and the mania gets even worse! lol One thing I can tell you that will be the same for ALL vehicles regardless of make/model or type of paint is that you must properly prep the paint before you use any kind of wax or sealant. claying, removing oxidation/swirls etc. Once this has been done and the surface properly prepped then you can experiment to see which combos work best for each type of paint. Souveran looks really good on dark colored and red cars. Wolfgang sealant looks amazing on metallics and pearl paints. In my humble opinion the trick is to just have fun. Enjoy the time you spend bonding with your car and playing with the different products to find what results works the best for you. And if you do find that "perfect combo" stick with it and just post some pics so the rest of us can drool with you!! :) Take care!

dinkydow
08-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Yes, I hear you. I guess I was confused when the red car came out like it did and the truck, which I just purchased disappointed me. Before I saw what my red car looked like I would have been more then happy with the truck. But once you see what could be you get spoiled..Pronto!

FloridaNative
08-12-2006, 08:00 PM
What kind of paint does the truck have? Is it just grey or does it have mettalic or pearl flakes as well?

ScottB
08-12-2006, 08:12 PM
reds, blacks, and yellows are going to look the best because they typically are very reflective. Metallics mute coloring and reflective a bit as they actually refract light. On grey, some reflection and good gloss is what you are typically going to notice most.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167Corvette_Parts_005-med.jpg
look at the reflections in the black glass (rear) and how it transfers to grey metallic paint. See hood thats a nice reflection of palm trees on metallic. Then look at the gloss and pop ...

Kelso
08-12-2006, 08:32 PM
5 coats of invisible glass? stoners invisible glass? im really confused...its a glass cleaner that you dont apply in coats...:confused:

ScottB
08-12-2006, 08:45 PM
5 coats of invisible glass? stoners invisible glass? im really confused...its a glass cleaner that you dont apply in coats...:confused:

One of my Grand National buddies swore by Windex .... used ONLY it on his car for years. Then theres a guy on the Corvetteforum who only uses Pledge on his show car. Maybe we are missing something !

Kelso
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
well i will say it is good to clean the car but why coat it?

Bags
08-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Liquid Glass maybe in the black can?

dinkydow
08-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Sorry, I meant Liquid Glass. It is a metallic and it does have the flakes. The flakes are a lot more pronounced now then before!

Reddwarf
08-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Ah! So you mean this stuff:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1910_43007454

http://www.autogeek.net/liquidglass8oz.html

How do you like it? I've seen this available at an auto store chain and of course on AG! The description on AG sounds great. Interesting that it mentions using it in the house on formica and tile. My old kitchen formica needs help; I wonder if this would make it look better until I can afford to replace it with granite or the like?

Surfer
08-13-2006, 10:32 AM
One of my Grand National buddies swore by Windex .... used ONLY it on his car for years. Then theres a guy on the Corvetteforum who only uses Pledge on his show car. Maybe we are missing something !Pledge?!? :confused: wow.

Some waxes are also targeted towards darker colors like Souv or Natty's Blue. But I use Natty's Blue on my white and absolutley love it, the regular Nattys is apparently more for lighter colors but I've seen it and theres quite a difference between the two. NB just gave my white a deeper, wet look and even looks slightly darker unlike most detailed whites I've seen that just seem "bright".

NB also mutes flakes though if your worried, I have it on our silver Lincoln but I kinda prefer that look with the color itself looking deeper/darker.

dinkydow
08-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I had been using Liquid glass for a few years. I was using Zaino before that. I used Liquid glass on my white Subaru, and it was really something, in my opinion. It really didn't do much until the 4th coat. I ended up putting 5 coats on and it stayed good for over a year. I am sure I am not your average user of cars. They are always garaged and I do clean them often. I definitely liked Liquid glass better then Zainos on my white car. I have switched since I found this site. I suppose it is time to see what else is out there. So far I like the ps21 cleaner and wax, next week I am going to try out the Souveran wax.

Reddwarf
08-13-2006, 01:19 PM
I wonder how the Liguid Glass compares to Klasse All in One? They sound similar in nature.