PDA

View Full Version : what compares with meguiars?

rousher99
11-13-2008, 07:49 PM
right now i am using the complete lime of mirror glaze products, and was wondering what products would compare to the quality and durability. i was looking at the wolfgang, and dodo waxes, but what do you guys think compairs to a quality compound,polish,wax,and interior products like mirror glaze

ScottB
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Megs makes some nice polishes, but a step to Menzerna is a clear step up IMO. The two products you offered are also a step up when considering waxes and sealants. I would consider something similar to Megs being Duragloss, Poorboys, and Mothers. (not knocking any of them they all are nice and easy to use with nice durability like Megs)

Showroom Shine
11-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Well my opinion is biased. I started with Menzerna Polishes,which from what I can tell is top of the line. There are actually very few over the counter polishes or waxes that I use. I got hooked on the good stuff and never tried the old favorites. Not saying that they don't work or aren't good. As the old saying goes," If it ain't broke don't fix it".
Menzerna is one of my go to products. I also like the Souveran Paste and Liquid. I have been thinking about the DoDo Juice Waxes. But I have been told that Souveran is right up there with the best. eg; Fusion, Souveran, SwissVax, WolfGang etc. For interiors I like alot of different products. I prefer Iz, Lexol, Folex, and Stoners. There's so much stuff on the market. Alot with the Hype too. I truely blieve some work better than others,but to me it's a personal preference. But I have really Love the Wet Shine of Souveran Wax.

Showroom Shine
11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I have just recently started using DetailKing products. They also have some Great products. Their Buff & Bling is right up there with the best!

Gunslinger
11-13-2008, 11:02 PM
I feel Meguair's is the best of mass market, over the counter car care products out there. You can find their stuff most anywhere, and reasonably priced, which is a major convenience. I don't see how you or anyone can go wrong with it. There are other alternatives, which is what you're asking about.

I haven't tried all the great products on the market by a long shot. I know what I like and tend to stick with them. I'm partial to natural products like carnauba waxes...guess that makes me old school. I know there's some great synthetic products out there, but for me the non-synthetics do what I want.

For a show car (particularly red or dark colors), I don't think you can do better than Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax. You give up some durability but it gives an unsurpassed finish. Pinnacle products are outstanding, though not always inexpensive.

I also like Griot's Garage polishes and their Carauba Wax Stick and Best of Show Wax. I used to use Meguiar's Gold Class Wax until I tried Griot's and made the change due to the better look and durability...not to say the Meguiar's isn't great, I just found the Griot's better.

I save Souveran for one particular car of mine that's Torch Red as it surpasses the results I get even with Griot's Best of Show Wax. I didn't see the difference on the other cars.

There's a lot of great products on the market...try different ones and see what works best for you. Go to car shows and pick up free samples, see if a friend will let you try his brand, etc. You'll find what gives you the results you're looking for.

Pyrocite
11-14-2008, 08:45 AM
I use Meguiars mirror glaze on my dark color accord, and had very nice results. I use it with my PC and CCS 5.5/6.5 pads, and find it a very good product for once-a-month detailer.

robb01
11-14-2008, 10:34 AM
While I feel Megs is some of the best OTC products there are, some of the products we use here are quite a bit better for about the same price.

RaskyR1
11-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Meguiars M105 is hands down one of the best compounds out there. M80 is very easy to use with no dusting. I have Menzurna too and like them very much but they tend to dust a little more than some of the Meguiars polishes.

For high volume work the new meguiars D151 is a great product! Come Jan/Feb I think the new release of the M205 will be more popular than the M105 was. Not to mention the release of the new consumer line products like SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, and Ultimate Compound. :cheers:

I also believe one can achive the same end results no matter what companies compound/polish they use. It's just a matter of finding a product that works for YOU.

Rasky

rousher99
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
thanks guys i think im goint to switch to Menzerna polishes :buffing: and a mixture of wolfgang and Pinnacle for glazes and waxes.. thanks again for the help

kory