PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a Rotary this Week

heavenlyv6
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I am finally getting a rotary I believe this week. After alot of thought I feel this is what I need to take my detailing to the next level. I own my own detailing business and 95% of the cars I touch are just nightmares/ and are usually black! I have the PC and it does a nice job, but not perfect enough for me. I have read up/watched videos/and plan on getting a scrap hood to practice on. My question is, what pads would you say I definately need to get started? Also, what products work well for you guys specifically used with the rotary? I have Menzerna and Poorboy's as of now. I think I am leaning towards the Makita with the pad combo sold here on Autogeek! Advice welcomed. Thanks everyone!

Jimmie
11-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Makita is a good one . It has always received positive comments on here.
Even though a little more aggressive I'd get one mild wool pad to use while learning. They are smoother and less prone to bounce. Plus any holograms can easily be removed with the PC. I'd also start with Optimum Polish. It gives you a little more working time while learning.

heavenlyv6
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds good. My dad has a Black 2008 BMW 328i and from the factory, under my halogens, there was alot of small scratches and some swirls. He bought it brand new and wanted me to detail it when he brought it home. Needless to say, the Porter Cable masked but did not completely take care of those blemishes. I am really looking forward to learning how to use it. I do not think to many detailing business's around here fool with the rotary's. I want to be the first. Thanks, I will check out the Optimum, Thanks again!

robb01
11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Looking forward to hearing how you like it, and pics :)

ScottB
11-12-2008, 07:49 PM
it sounds like you carefully thought about it and made an informed decision. Best of luck !@

heavenlyv6
11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Placed my oder last night!! I should hopefully have it next week sometime. I will take pictures of my detail supplies, my current setup, and my dad's BMW that will benefit from the new Makita. Also, I will try to get some pics up of my own truck that I bought for detailing, my business cards, and possibly my Vinyl lettering I am having done to my truck for my business (having that done next week as well). So stay tuned!!

heavenlyv6
11-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Update:
Hello everyone. Just this week I bought a Makita Rotary in hopes to take the next step in my detailing skills. I have had a Porter Cable 7424 for two years now and I feel I have mastered that. My dad's BMW 328i is in desparate need of paint correction so I was anxious to test out my Makita. I watched alot of how to videos plus read up on alot of forums on the web.

I started out today with Wolfgang Swirl Remover and a orange pad via rotary @ the speed set at 1. I kept the polisher moving and the back edge (closest to me) tilted up slightly. The pad had plenty of product on it and after two passes I seemed to make the paint worse. I was basically putting scratches and swirls in the paint using the machine. I know this is a user error so what am I doing wrong? I basically thought all you had to worry about was keeping the Rotary moving at all times. So I stopped before I did anymore damage and went back over that area with my PC. Can someone tell me what I should do? I plan on getting a scrap hood hopefully this week to ractice on. Needless to say, this brought my detailing moral to an all time low and made me realize I am not as good as I thought I was!http://www.detailcity.org/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif Help

AeroCleanse
11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Sounds like you are using far too much product.

polishdoc
11-23-2008, 11:23 PM
What Optimum Compounds are you using ?
If you are using Optimum Hyper Compound that will leave a haze like all heavy Compounds !

Also, what pads are you using ?

Regards Mario

heavenlyv6
11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes, it is the Hyper Compound via orange pad. After two passes I managed to put swirls/alot of fine scratches into paint. Can to much product cause this? I thought not enough would cause this due to basically just the foam pad touching the paint!

polishdoc
11-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Orange Pad and Hyper Compound will create buffer trials , to eliminate this problem step down to Optimum Polish with a White CCS Pad and reduce your speed !

If this doesn't work try Menzerna PO 106FA or PO 85RD on a White CCS Pad !
This should do the trick !

Hope this helps !

Regards Mario:)