PDA

View Full Version : Which pad type do you prefer?

wytstang
11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
After looking around the internet it seems LC CCS pads are really the only choice you have for pads. I looked at all my "hot spots" and found only one vendor that sells flat pads. No one really has a wide selection of pads to chose from. So I'd like to get feedback from folks on what pads they have used and what do the prefer.
Me having used WG 5.5 low profile pads, LC variable contact pads 6.5 , LC CCS 5'', Edge 6.5, and recently Erasure 5.5 flat pads. Thus far the WG and Erasure pads have worked out best for me. Since WG no longer sells these pads Eraser pads it is. In short I prefer Flat Pads. EDIT: Flat Pads with the Velcro that covers the entire back.

Jimmie
11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
+1 for the flat pads. Currently using low profile 5.5 which are flat(and the velcro almost covers the whole back). Also use the flat Edge. I've got some CCS but don't like the way the holes trap stuff. The CCS also seem harder to clean IMO.

wytstang
11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Jimmie do your CCS pads seem to collapse towards the center? If not what size pads? Mine seem to compress in the middle during polishing.

Jimmie
11-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Jimmie do your CCS pads seem to collapse towards the center? If not what size pads? Mine seem to compress in the middle during polishing.

Yes, absolutely. Especially the red one that I use to apply wax.
I had to laugh when I read this because I just did an experiment machine washing one (with my MF's). My wife helped me out by throwing them in the dryer, lol. That pad is just the opposite. The middle pouched up. Looks like a frisbee.

charliehaley
11-12-2008, 03:56 PM
The middle of pads wears faster because most tend to apply the polish towards the middle of the pad. Try putting the polish dots more towards the outside and that should extend the life of the pad.

The Pad Man
11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Not to get busted for spamming, but if you guys want flat pads, you can special order them through Autogeek with no problem at all. Just ask Jason.

twistedframe
11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I've been using CCS pads for a while and the only one that collapsed was a white one and it was due to me applying too much pressure and putting the polish in the middle of the pad. Since then I have adjusted my pressure and put the product on the outter edge and all of my pads have a very long life. I like the CCS pads better because they seem to keep more of the product under the pad instead of pushing it out like some flat pads I have used.

wytstang
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
The middle of pads wears faster because most tend to apply the polish towards the middle of the pad. Try putting the polish dots more towards the outside and that should extend the life of the pad.
I apply mine towards the outside and some times a large thin X on the pad. As for pressure I used none last time using JW Prime:STRONG just for paint cleaning with a lil polishing action coming from the white pad. It still collapsed towards the center :buffing:. Maybe it's just the 5'' pads that are to thin for high speed?

RaskyR1
11-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Have you tried the Meguiars 2.0 pads? They are not flat but they are a step above the old ones.

sal329
11-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I like the flat LC pads

Smokin
11-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I like the danase 6 in. pads.:cheers:

Surfer
11-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I still have my Edge pads, are you saying no one else makes flat pads anymore?

wytstang
11-15-2008, 01:11 PM
So far Excel Detail is the only one who carries flat pads in stock, everyone else sells CCS pads. For me the 5'' CCS pads are just to thin they collapse. But The Pad Man has noted you can call AG to have them order you some. But I assume if they have to order them for some one it would delay shipping your order.