PDA

View Full Version : Pad size?

94LT1
11-12-2008, 08:03 AM
When i first caught the detailing bug last winter i purchased the Pinnacle duo kit which was there swirl remover and finishing polish.The kit came with a 6.5 LC pads.so since then iv always bought 6.5" pads because of my backing plate.will I get more correction out of a smaller pad and if so wat size should i look into??

TOGWT
11-12-2008, 08:09 AM
The general rules for foam pads;
Pad size; with smaller pads you gain increased control and manoeuvrability. Smaller pads generate more friction (heat) with a PC, which breaks down polishes by generating energy over a concentrated area. The random orbiting motion of the PC generates the most power in the centre of the pad (i.e. area of a 6.5 – inch pad is 33 – square inches compared to the area of a 4 – inch pad, which is 12.5 – square inches) This additional cutting power will facilitate the removal of deeper imperfections
The opposite is true with rotary buffers. The speed of the outer edge of a smaller (radius) pad is slower than that of a larger (radius) pad. This helps reduce the amount of friction generated, which makes polishing tighter areas much safer.
• The coarser the abrasive, the faster the cut
• The more aggressive the pad, the faster the cut
• Wool cuts faster than lamb’s wool, foamed wools are next, then foam.
• Foam pads generate more friction induced heat than wool pads

For more information see the “Foam Pads” article; one of a collection of detailing articles I’ve written for #############; a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

wytstang
11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I've been using 5.5 & 5'' CCS pad and they work great. Having said that what I hate about these size pads is they are thinner then larger pads. While buffing the center seems to start to collapse due to heat. If these pads were thicker this would be a problem at all. From what I have found there is only one vendor that sells thick dense 5.5 pads. Excel Detail seems to be then only one to sell just flat pads now a days. I really wish AG would open up there selection of pads. The more I use CCS pads the more the thinness bothers me. The Wolfgang Low profile pads they used to carry worked great and never had a problem with the centers collapsing/shrinking.

charliehaley
11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I use 5.5 and 4 mostly with my pc. I recently did a car with only 4 inch pads and actually liked it. The polish broke down faster and removed more defects so i think i will be sticking to 4 inch pads. I also like not having to change backing plates when you need to go to the 4 inch pads for tighter areas.

94LT1
11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I've been using 5.5 & 5'' CCS pad and they work great. Having said that what I hate about these size pads is they are thinner then larger pads. While buffing the center seems to start to collapse due to heat. If these pads were thicker this would be a problem at all. From what I have found there is only one vendor that sells thick dense 5.5 pads. Excel Detail seems to be then only one to sell just flat pads now a days. I really wish AG would open up there selection of pads. The more I use CCS pads the more the thinness bothers me. The Wolfgang Low profile pads they used to carry worked great and never had a problem with the centers collapsing/shrinking.
i think i may have a 5" backing plate is it worth it for me to drop down to a 5.5?

wytstang
11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I was/am happy with 5.5'' pads, it cut faster for me.