PDA

View Full Version : Quick Detailing: How dirty is to dirty

lempilot
11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Dumb question but I need to know. With winter upon us I need to know when to quick detail and when to do a rinseless wash. How much dirt is to much, i.e. cause scratching?

Brian_Brice
11-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Light surface debris can be qd'd, if it required pressure or the buildup is significant, wash or rinseless.

Jimmie
11-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I always struggled with that same question so I got PB Spray and Wipe. If it's more than light dust (QD) I use the Spray and Wipe.

Rsurfer
11-11-2008, 09:25 PM
When in doubt wash.

supercharged
11-11-2008, 11:35 PM
When in doubt wash.
:iagree::whs:
the way I do it if it is not too dirty, I spray the entire car with a QD (DP 4-in-1), and let it sit for 5 minutes, then use rinseless wash. This will help you.

Streetlife
11-12-2008, 09:32 AM
When not too dirty, i use PB spray and wipe. I just finished a near full detail (will remove small scrathes and light swirls in the spring). I'm all protected for the winter.:buffing:

dublifecrisis
11-12-2008, 10:20 AM
and if it's a Honda, NEVER QD. Joking but not really. My general rule has been if I've driven more than 1 day (trip to and from work etc) then i won't QD. If I just went to work, came home and didn't drive through any adverse conditions (construction, dirt road) then I can pull in the garage and give it a gentle wipe later in the evening.

robb01
11-12-2008, 10:44 AM
When in doubt wash.
:whs:

Emile
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I think it depends on the quick detailer but generally I like to use QD's to refresh the gloss and recharge my wax or sealant. My vehicles get too dirty for a waterless wash product....I mean it can be done but I would end up going through a whole mess of microfiber towels and I'm not willing to do that.

lempilot
11-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I am going to order more dp four-in-one for winter. QD'ing will be very limited this winter.

NHinAK
11-12-2008, 11:56 PM
OP: I have a question that deals with a lot of what is being discussed in this thread, so I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your question.

I live in Alaska, and the winters here are looooong. Unfortunately I have to live in the city, and we go through a lot of snow freeze/thaw cycles that usually result in wet, dirty, grime ridden roads for days.

After driving for a couple days in harsh weather my vehicle is understandably dirty. My only option (I live in a condo) is to go to a touch-less car wash and than use ONR to get what the car wash missed. Unfortunately I generally find (even after using the ONR) that there is still a lot of surface contamination that I am only able to get off with hard scrubbing (which I don't do) or to clay the surface. Even after using the ONR I am only able to blot the water off. I think if I were to wipe it off it would scratch it up pretty quick.

I just detailed the truck with DG 601 and 105. Is there anything more that I can do to keep the grime from sticking to the truck? It's almost like a glue after I've driven for a couple days in the dirt laden streets.