PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP A NEWIE w PC

03 4TR
08-11-2006, 09:25 PM
:confused:
Ok, so I got my PC 7336 last week and ordered a Pinnacle Swirl Remover Kit with LC pads, XMT #3, XMT #1, etc. I could barely contain myself all week and was excited to wash and detail my wife's 2005 Black Altima 3.5SL. Here was my process:

Wash with MG Gold Class (using back and forth, no circles)
Dry with Ultimate Guzzler
Clay with Mother's Clay Kit (I know next time I will go with Pinnacle)
Wash with MG Gold Class
Dry with Ultimate Guzzler
Pulled it to the garage to begin swirl removal

I started off with XMT #1 on the Orange LC pad and began with the PC on 2 to spread it around. Then once spread it around I went up to 5 and worked it in going side to side and then up and down (I watched that video on here and tried to follow that). After doing this for several minutes I removed the polish with a MF towel and sure enough swirls were still there. So I next tried the XMT #3 polish with the same method and I swear the swirls are still there and it might even look worse. I then freaked out and am here now!!! I did clean the Orange Pad with Pad Cleaner before I got on the computer!!

I know this might be hard to help via the Internet, but any idea of what I am doing wrong. Couple of questions:

- How many passes or how much time should I be spending on each section?
- How much pressure should I be putting on?
- Is it ok or normal to have a couple of swirls even with the Orange/#3 Combo and then those will go away if I then apply #1, the Glaze and Souveran.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Todd

emaxxman
08-11-2006, 10:56 PM
It sounds like you made the same mistake I made. You probably didn't work the polish long enough. I would go with a white pad and the XMT #2 if you have it. Make sure you work this long enough for the polish to really start breaking down. That's crucial....which I did not do my first time polishing. Also, it may seem like you're working it a long time but in reality, you're probably not from the sounds of it. If you have a timer, that might be useful too.

Also, check this thread out. It was one I started after not having ideal results my first time.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1168

ScottB
08-12-2006, 07:28 AM
It sounds like you made the same mistake I made. You probably didn't work the polish long enough. I would go with a white pad and the XMT #2 if you have it. Make sure you work this long enough for the polish to really start breaking down. That's crucial....which I did not do my first time polishing. Also, it may seem like you're working it a long time but in reality, you're probably not from the sounds of it. If you have a timer, that might be useful too.

Also, check this thread out. It was one I started after not having ideal results my first time.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1168

this is the biggest offering, and one that consistently needs reinforcing. A PC is a very safe tool, but as such, you are going to need to work longer and a little harder. That said, efforts pay off with patience.

kellyinkc
08-12-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm still learning. Got timing done finally... Now it's how much pressure.

03 4TR
08-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the help!!! I will try this afternoon working the polish in better and applying a little more pressure. I guess I had the first time gitters!!!