PDA

View Full Version : Waxing New Cars

Pages : [1] 2

Beam7
08-11-2006, 06:25 PM
With the advances in car paints should you wait a certain period of time to let the paint cure before you wax? I'm confused because I believe the dealer waxes a new car before they deliver it.

Bags
08-11-2006, 06:35 PM
From what I have been told it is ok to wash and wax a new car. New cars are baked before they leave the plant. The "cure time" only applies to when it is painted at a body shop. Just make sure you read the posts on proper washing. It seems most of us have been washing cars all wrong for years. Its really worth it to read up before cleaning your new car. I wish I had.

Al-53
08-11-2006, 06:43 PM
The paint on a new car is factory cured no need to wait for curing...not like a repaint ...most dealers will use a glaze and speed wax before car goes to customer...they usally do not last long...best to take care of your paint now the correct way...

1. Wash

2. Clay to remove any shipping contaminents....

3. Polish if needed....

4. use a sealant or wax of your choice....AG has a ton to choose from...

AL

abrcrombe
08-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Agreed. Read the post about Neo on his scion forum. It is funny.

Reddwarf
08-11-2006, 08:37 PM
The paint on a new car is factory cured no need to wait for curing...not like a repaint ...most dealers will use a glaze and speed wax before car goes to customer...they usally do not last long...best to take care of your paint now the correct way...

1. Wash

3. Polish if needed....

AL

:iagree:

ScottB
08-12-2006, 07:44 AM
immediately start to protect your new cars finish. If you have any repair work done then consider only a pure wax as protection for around 30 days.

Beam7
08-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks, I spent lots of time reading about car care on the AG site and ordered lots of car care products. I thought that was really well done. I am going to go back and read the "clay section" I didn't think I would have to do that on a new car. I'm a bit apprehensive about that because I never did it before. I received my shipment form AG last week and have it all stowed. It arrived great. I did work on my garage including new floor. My new addition will arrive early November.

ScottB
08-12-2006, 01:39 PM
claying is beneficial to all cars ... especially new cars as they might have traveled by rail and thus have rail dust and other contaminents embedded into the paint.

With clay you simply wash the car, then while wet, you spritz the panel with clay lube or soap and you allow the clay to glide across the finish. (your not grinding it into the paint). When it studders, you work that area over and over (back and forth with little pressure) until smooth. Let the clay talk to you. I like to then rewash before drying. Kneed your clay often and try to never drop it.

Beam7
08-12-2006, 01:44 PM
OK I will get some on order.

FloridaNative
08-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Claying is really simple and the results are amazing. I clayed my car when it was brand new and you wouldn't believe the amount of junk that came off of it. I wound up having to throw the clay away afterwards because it was so dirty. Alot of these cars come long distances via, ship, rail and truck and can pick up all manner of nasty things. As far as the claying is concerned if you use plenty of lubrication and don't do it in full sun you should be fine. :) Congratulations on your new car. :)

redtaco04
08-19-2006, 04:34 PM
What I do to check if I need to clay my car is I'll stick my hand in a plastic bag like a Zip-lock and run it over the surface of the car. With the bare hand it may feel smooth but the plastic bag trick intensifies any contaminants in the paint.

Kelso
08-19-2006, 04:48 PM
my brother wants me to polish a honda he is going to paint soon. i would also like to protect it and make it look realllllly good. ive never done a freshly painted car before so what is safe to put on it? sealant is a nono right? what about souveran? and if there is a reason, id like to know that too lol

supercharged
08-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Let paint cure for a week, then apply Souveran. ! week without protection won't hurt your paint, but it will make sure it has properly dried/cured.

sparkie
08-19-2006, 07:19 PM

1. Wash

3. Polish if needed....

AL

What AL-53 said!

juzzbrilliant
08-21-2006, 07:49 AM
totally agreed ..
enjoy yr new ride man