PDA

View Full Version : Introducing scratches immediately after polishing!!!

D_Nyholm
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I just finished polishing a car using SIP/orange pad and Nano/white pad, Pinnacle Paintwork cleanser followed up by 4*UPP and souveran paste. I went over a few of the bad areas for 2-3 passes to remove all of the scratches and swirls and the paint was perfect. After wiping off the SIP/Nano/cleanser/4*upp/souveran, i now notice that there are a few fine scratches that weren't there when i started with the Nano and on from there. I used brand new cobra towels throughout the whole process, Cobra Detailing cloths for polish removal and Miracle towels for everything else.

Without the halogens, you can't see the fine scratches, but it is still making me mad that i spent 8 hours for the whole process and still have little imperfections!!!:mad::mad::mad:

ScottB
11-06-2008, 01:00 PM
washing and drying typically offer the greatest swirls and marks, in this case they were likely there and missed due to lighting. Stand back around 5 feet and see what most others will see, it will still be obvious that the prep was done and you can work on these little areas as wanted without polishing the entire car again.

D_Nyholm
11-06-2008, 04:24 PM
I was using Halogens the entire time. WIthout them, you can't see the scratches. It is funny, i have a picture of the fender when I finished polishing and it is basically perfect. I look at the same fender now under the halogens and there are a few fine scratches. The type that could be removed with Nano...

Brian_Brice
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
There are a plethora of possibilities here...

1. Your towel isn't as debris free as you think (which happens to all of us from time to time)

2. You didn't completely remove the marring via polishing although it appeared you did as many polishing oils can conceal minor micromarring upon initial inspection. One way they can come back is after washing with a strong shampoo.

3. Light random scratches WILL happen, normally being of straight line variety due to driving alone. If they are as faint as you say, I would say don't worry about them as it is your daily driver, and you will only drive yourself nuts trying to keep it perfect.

4. You introduced an awful lot of different oils and waxes in that procedure, which very well could give off a perfect finish appearance, when in reality you still have remaining RIDS that require more than what you threw at your paint to remove to begin with. Sip and 106 will produce a fabulous finish, but to suggest or expect perfection out of a two step system is unrealistic at best.
If that was the case, I would like to know why I have to spend 20-80 hours sanding/releveling, sanding/releveling. I'm sure they are driving you nuts, but remember you need your thickness level to stay up there to prolong the uv inhibitors in your clear cote.

5. You could be using too much pressure with your towels, you shouldn't require much more than a quick light swipe of the towel if you are breaking the polish down completely, if you are going over one area multiple times try reducing the amount of polish you are using. Then try working the polish in even longer, via pc you should be looking at 4-6 minutes per section with SIP depending on your climate.

mixxer
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
menzerna fill was removed by paint cleanser. Need to do an IPA wipe down between each pilishing step to insure level of correction.

D_Nyholm
11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
menzerna fill was removed by paint cleanser. Need to do an IPA wipe down between each pilishing step to insure level of correction.

I didn't know menzerna filled? If so, that must be the case since they started appearing after the cleanser!!

Brian_Brice
11-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Depends on what cleanser, you can't be 100% positive unless you have experimented. Not to mention if menzerna is "swelling" the paint, the paint cleanser has zero capability of reversing the effects.

Brian_Brice
11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I didn't know menzerna filled? If so, that must be the case since they started appearing after the cleanser!!

If that's the case, work it longer than you already are, work it till you barely see anything on your paint.