PDA

View Full Version : Consistency of Collinite IW #845?

99tl
11-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi all,

On the recommendation of many of the fine people here I ordered 845. I have a questions on the consistency. Is it watery? It was pretty thick until I shook it up really well. When I poured it on the applicator it came out like an oily water. Is this normal?

Thanks

akimel
11-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Shake it and shake it and shake it ... and then shake it some more. It's hard to describe what 845 is like or should be like--perhaps like an oily milk? Apply it on thin. You will not need to use very much. In fact, at first it will hardly look like you've applied much at all, but don't be fooled. You'll see what I mean when it hazes up.

BTW, the Collinite website recommends 60-85°F as the optimal temperature range for applying their waxes. "Using the product when the temperature is less than 60 degrees," it says, "could result in streaking or difficulty in removing the product from the finish." I had streaking problems last week when applying it at around 55°F. Maybe it was just me. Maybe I didn't let it set up long enough. I don't know. But I thought I'd pass the info on.

99tl
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

That's exactly what I did. Like you said it was milky. How long before you can buff it off?

akimel
11-06-2008, 11:11 AM
When I applied it to my wife's car last month, the temperature was in the 60s. As I recall, I only had to wait 10 mins or so. It was easy on, easy off. But when I applied it to my car last week, the temperature was in the 50s. I waited a bit longer. I think it was dry. It came off fine, but later I noticed some streaking and milkiness. I had to go over it with a quick detailer. I'm sure the problem was completely on my end. I welcome counsel from those who are experienced with 845.

Al

Brian_Brice
11-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't shake it, just roll it back and forth, you will get the correct consistancy by doing so.

alowe
11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I had to shake mine for over 5 minutes when left in ~65 degree temp to achieve nice results. hold in hands to warm as well.

ScottB
11-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I dont remember it being as thick as say Liquid Souveran. Most products should be shaken for several minutes to deal with seperation of ingredients.

astrob0y
11-06-2008, 10:00 PM
You can use a halogen lamp and do each section at a time so the lamp can raise the temp of each section

99tl
11-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Just shaking it well was enough for me.