PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions

rutledj
11-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi,
I was hoping to get just some basic info about car cleaning in general. I'm not really a detailing connoisseur but thought you guys could steer me in the right direction.

I have a 2002 Highlander (white) with months of dried bug splats on the bumper and tar on the lower door panels. What is the best method for getting this stuff off? I have some bug and tar remover but the last time I used that I spent a very long time scrubbing each bug off. Seems like there should be a better way.

Secondly, is it safe to use a pressure washer on the engine? Do I need to cover anything before doing so?

Thanks,
Rut

dublifecrisis
11-06-2008, 08:17 AM
months of dried bug splats likely means that even once you've removed what's left you'll have etchings in your paint which would require polishing out with a machine and a compound. I've seen some so bad that even compounding didn't work and needed something more drastic like wet sanding. Avoid using anything too harsh with the bugs like brillo pads or things that will scratch the pain. Work at it. Once you've removed all the bugs, examine whether it etched the paint or not.

As for the engine, generally you don't have to cover anything but I wouldn't use a high pressure washer. Do a search for engine detailing and there's plenty of methods using 1-2 products, 1-2 brushes and light stream of water.

rutledj
11-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks. Would a clay bar help with removing the bugs?

robb01
11-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks. Would a clay bar help with removing the bugs?

Yes it would