PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

Pages : [1] 2

D
08-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Im detailing a black Audi S4 right now. Everything was going well until I started waxing it. I washed the car, clay bar, and everything. Pulled it into the garaged and wiped off a section of the hood (using my microfiber towel) that I was about to wax to get rid of any dust that had gotten on it. Applied my Poorboys SSR2.5 onto my Meguiars cutting pad. With my PC (7424) on speed 5 I began polishing. I do a 2x2ft. section going in a figure 8 motion nice and slowly. Then I buff it off with my microfiber towel. As Im buffing it off I start noticing small swirl like scratches. They are very small and hard to notice unless you're looking at it at the right angle.

I dont understand why this is happening. The car was clean, my pads are clean, and Ive NEVER had this happen on any other cars Ive done. I also tried a brand new cutting pad on a new section and the same thing happened. Right now Im going to rewash the car and try one more time somewhere else less noticeable. If it happens again then Im just going to give it a coat by hand and call it quits. But can someone please explain whats going on? Id take pictures of it, but I dont think the scratches would even show up.

articsilber323
08-11-2006, 12:59 PM
you have to go over it with ssr1 to get what maring or that 2.5 left it self

ssr2.5 leaves it own swirls you can say and dosent leave a perfect finish

if you follow up with ssr1 with a polishing pad it should take out what is left on the paint

hope that helps

if you are using lake country pads it would be the white pad for ssr1

-z

D
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I went over it with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze using a polishing pad and it looks better, but I can still barley see it. Like I said, Ive never had this problem before and Ive used the SSR2.5 with the cutting pad on a good amount of dark colored cars and never noticed anything.

articsilber323
08-11-2006, 01:09 PM
what other products do you have 2 use and maybe i can tell you to try something different

D
08-11-2006, 01:52 PM
All I have is the SSR1 and 2.5, the Clearkote, and natty's paste wax. I just finished washing it, so Im going to give it another shot.

Just tried again with the SSR2.5 and I got the same results. Im going to go over it with the SSR1 and see what happens.

Alright, I went over it with the SSR1 using a polishing pad then the Clearkote with a finishing pad and that took care of it. I guess I just wont use the 2.5 on this car. What is it about the paint that makes the 2.5 look so bad?

D
08-11-2006, 02:21 PM
OK Im getting the same thing with the SSR1, not as bad, but still the same thing. Whats the deal???

Just tried the Clearkote with a finishing pad and Im not getting any weird marks. However, now I cant get rid of a lot of the scratches.

Totoland Mach
08-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I've got an idea worth trying: Spray some quick detailer on that mf towel before you try to buff out the product. I've had a similar experience and found the problem to be left over residue from SSR and/or DACP.

Can't hurt!

Totoland Mach

D
08-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Thats a good idea, however, Ive givin up and I dont think thats the problem here. I think it has something to do with the paint on this Audi. Im just going to give it a coat of Clearkote then Natty's by hand.

This is a 2004 and it looks like its never been waxed before. Or maybe it has because it has very bad swirl marks in places.

FloridaNative
08-11-2006, 03:22 PM
How many minutes did you work the polishes in?

D
08-11-2006, 03:27 PM
The SSR2.5, ummm not really sure. Probably no minutes, about 45 seconds? Until I start seeing a little bit of dust. Do I need work it in longer?

FloridaNative
08-11-2006, 03:37 PM
The SSR2.5, ummm not really sure. Probably no minutes, about 45 seconds? Until I start seeing a little bit of dust. Do I need work it in longer?

Yeah, you need to work the polish in until it breaks down, about 3-5 minutes. If you stop too soon then the abrasives in the polish will leave marks and swirls. Did you squirt the pad first with water or QD before applying the polish? Here is a video link showing what a polish looks like when it's broken down. http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/ It's nice to be able to see it in person. I hope this helps you. :)

D
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about buying that DVD on autogeek that tells how to use the PC. Is that worth buying and do they talk about using the 7424 or something different?

FloridaNative
08-11-2006, 04:00 PM
The demonstrations in that video are performed with a high speed rotary buffer, which works differently than a DA polisher. If I were you I would spend some time on that link that I just gave you first. Watch all of the videos and pay special attention to how the polish looks when it is broken down. Then I would practice polishing and take it slow. Remember that with a PC it takes time to for the polishes to work. Study those videos and then practice what you learn and I'm sure your next polishing job will be a sucess. If you are still having trouble please keep coming back here and ask questions. We'll help you get it all sorted out. Best of luck to you. :)

D
08-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Alright, thanks a lot man.

Al-53
08-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I believe Steve of poorboys says not to wet the pad....I have no Idea why...I use QD's for many polishes...but PB's says no...

03gtmustang..maybe go to his forum on the poorboys home page..or try his other forum on Detail City....ask him about the problem..you are not the first....he can explain it...

Florida did a nice job of explaining also....sharp lady...

AL