PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sponge or Scmitt? Anyone use both?

Pages : [1] 2

Texas Dave
11-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I know this has to have been asked before, but I can't seem to find anything on the search.

I'm currently using a microfiber wash mit by AutoSpa that I got from local store. It has long yellow strands of seemingly very plush microfiber.

no complaints yet, but I haven't polished the car to get the swirls out yet. So I can't really say if it leaves swirls or not.

However, I'm looking at either the Schmitt or a natural sea sponge. I seem to find people that love or hate or are just scared of the sea sponge. Haven't really found anyone complaining about the schmitt.

Has anyone used both products and chosen one over the other? Is either better for use with a foam gun, or bucket washing?

Thanks

-Dave

P.s. Guess it would have been better if I spelled it correctly. :)

Meghan
11-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Sea Sponge and Boars Hair all the way for me!

robb01
11-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Have you considered a sheespkin mitt?

Matt S.
11-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Sea Sponge will last the longest out of pretty much anything, won't scratch, cleans well, but does not carry suds as well as foam or sheepskin.

Texas Dave
11-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I considered a sheepskin, and actually had one once until a friend did something unspeakable to it and I had to toss it.
Only problem I had with it was, man did it smell bad when it got wet!!

Does the schmitt have a greater chance of scratching, since it doesn't really trap and remove the dirt, just kinda sloshes it around and lets it rinse off? Though I do like that idea of being easier to rinse off. My microfiber, and the sheepskin I had, seemed to take a lot to rinse out the dirt.

Jimmie
11-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Never had a problem with the Schmitt causing swirls. It does release dirt easily. Plus I get a gazillion hours out of one by cutting off the back + glue when it starts to separate.

Matt S.
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Schmitt won't cause any swirls...and dirt does rinse very easily.

Jimmie, mine recently separated after a few months of usage. I plan to Gorilla Glue it back together...thoughts?

Texas Dave
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Sea Sponge and Boars Hair all the way for me!

After researching the boar's hair brush, I'm really liking this idea. How are they on durability? Will they last a while, or eventually lose all the strands?

budman3
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
For bucket and foam gun washes I like to use a Lake Country Ulti-MItt. I prefer that over my Shmitt. Sea sponges do work quite nicely with bucket washes. Possibly a grout sponge as well ...

For rinseless washes, I love the sea sponges. There is no alternative, IMO. Sheepskin's? What's that???? Haven't used one of those in years. Sheepskins are next in line for rinseless washes but they leave too much water on the ground, not good in the winter time!

Jimmie
11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Schmitt won't cause any swirls...and dirt does rinse very easily.

Jimmie, mine recently separated after a few months of usage. I plan to Gorilla Glue it back together...thoughts?
I did "Gorilla Glue" one back together and it held for approx. 10 washes before it separated again. That's when I cut the back off including all of the hard glue. I love using just the face of it.

vinnier6
11-04-2008, 11:46 PM
i have never really had a problem with mothers sheepskin mitts stinking before....i go through one every 3 months or soo at 10 bucks a piece and once a week use...i use the older ones to do wheels and lower areas...

cls
11-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Grout sponge + ONR = Great combo IMO.It only costs less than $5 at Lowes.

Matt S.
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I did "Gorilla Glue" one back together and it held for approx. 10 washes before it separated again. That's when I cut the back off including all of the hard glue. I love using just the face of it.

Ahh gotcha, so you just kinda just stick your hand on top of it like a pad?

Jimmie
11-06-2008, 03:39 PM
^ yeah, exactly Matt and surprising how secure it stays on your hand.

I mean under your hand, lol. It just keeps getting softer and easier to squeeze rinse. It seems like it will last forever.

Matt S.
11-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I think I will try that method before I resort to gluing it back together. I'll let you know how I like it. :cool: